Menu
aliceg14xf
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Poor Wi-fi in multiple rooms

I'm at my wits end with the Virgin Wi-Fi — it only works well in the room where I have the hub and it's intermittent or doesn't work at all in other rooms. I live in a small 2-bedroom flat so it really shouldn't be an issue. 

Whenever I call and speak to someone, they're telling me to restart the router. I've restarted the thing hundreds of times and nothing. I can't watch Netflix in a bedroom located 20 feet from the hub. 

Could it be an issue with my Hub 3 since it's a bit over 4 years old? Virgin dismisses the issue because apparently, the hub works. The fact that it only works in one room doesn't seem to concern them. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor Wi-fi in multiple rooms

Get a mesh system or a better router and run the hub in modem mode 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Gary is right - better equipment sourced by yourself should sort the wifi issues.

However, first on a Hub3 try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the Hub settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" - save and apply the changes.

Then use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just use 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz)— that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - note that all of your wifi devices will need connecting to the new SSID's - choose the best one for each device at its location

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi aliceg14xf, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the WiFi connection. I have taken a look at the hub and things look good in terms of the stats. Looking more closely at the WiFi, I can see there are some coverage issues. 

Usually we would get a WiFi pod sent out to help things however based on the package you are on, they would cost £5 per month. You can read more about the WiFi pods here: Intelligent WiFi Plus If you want to add one then let me know and I can arrange this for you. 

This link will also help to improve things: How to improve WiFi

Finally, the tips given above from jbrennard should also help with things. 

Pop back and let us know how things go. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos