Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Poor WIFI Signal - Ring doorbell issues

Hi All,

I currently have a HUB 3.0 and have recently purchased a Ring doorbell 3 plus. My Virgin Hub is positioned in the rear upstairs bedroom. The ring doorbell is showing poor Wi-fi connection and not operation as it should.

Over the weekend I purchased a TP LINK WI-FI RE200 Extender. This didn't make any difference to the signal and the download speed from the extender was no better than the router itself, maybe 1/2 MBPS quicker. I did have it suitably positioned from the modem and obviously it was closer to the ring doorbell than the modem/hub.

I also experience wifi issues with my Amazon fire sticks. They are in the bedrooms next-door to where the modem/hub is situated. Im constancy having to re connect the wifi to my fire sticks but maybe this is an issue with the fire sticks.

My virgin engineer who came out last year ti change my hub told me to play around with the settings on the hub. Im aware of how to log into the hub settings but don't have a clue with what everything means and how to improve wifi signal etc by changing the settings.

If anyone has any tips or solutions to help me with this it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

James

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor WIFI Signal - Ring doorbell issues

Put the hub into modem mode with your own router or mesh system to get better WiFi.

An extender won’t help - it will only attempt to extend an already poor signal even further. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls and building materials used within them, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) so it is not something VM can control or guarantee, no ISP can with a single router.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.

There is a post here with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

One option might be powerline adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Some provide just wired connections and others come with additional wireless built in to allow you to create a wireless access point in parts of the house where the wireless signal is poor.   Some powerline adapter reviews here:
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/  

VM offer powerline adapters that they refer to as "wireless boosters" and you can sometimes get them free, depending on the package you have with VM. 

Another option to improve your wireless is with a third party router.  It is what I and many other customers do and it can make a huge difference.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Just joined
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. In regards to a third party router I have a TPLINK Router. Over the weekend if set it up downstairs as I have an ethernet wire in the downstairs living room direct from the router upstairs.

Sadly when performing speed tests from this TPLINK Router I had set up they weren't amazing and no better than the Virgin router upstairs. Maybe the positioning of the TPLINK router wasn't ideal as it was in the lounge downstairs (to the rear of the room) and the HUB 3.0 is upstairs in the same position (rear bedroom, so technically speaking it would be the same distance from the ring doorbell as the HUB 3.0 upstairs just downstairs as oppose to upstairs.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If i put the hub in modem mode would this effect any other connections I have from the hub ? I have a few devices around the house connected via ethernet wire (PS4, TV's etc).

New to all this so not sure how and what modem mode is.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There are TP-Link Routers and then there are TP-Link Routers - what exact model is it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The one I have is a TPLINK TL-WR841N router and also have two TPLINK TL-PA4020 poweline adapters.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That currently sells for £14.84p on a well known retail site due to it's low spec. ! Probably less than VM pay for their Hubs !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR841N-300Mbps-Wireless-Supports/dp/B001FWYGJS/

I would respectfully suggest that the recycling centre is where that belongs and invest in a better specced newer model and use that with the Hub in Modem mode

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@jamesgreen1994 wrote:
If i put the hub in modem mode would this effect any other connections I have from the hub ? I have a few devices around the house connected via ethernet wire (PS4, TV's etc).

New to all this so not sure how and what modem mode is.

In modem mode the VM hub has no routing functions, no WiFi and only one active Ethernet port which forwards all Internet traffic from the VM network to your own third party router.  All your devices would need to connect to your third part router instead of the VM hub when in modem mode.

That TL-WR841N appears to be a very low spec device, worse than the Hub 3.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The router only has 100Mbps ports and it’s only Wireless “N” so you’re looking at maybe 50-70Mbps max WiFi speeds on that. 

Likewise the powerline adaptors are only 10/100Mbps ports so add even more truncating on top of that. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos