cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plex and Chromecast no longer working after upgrade to Hub 4

silverberrysnow
Tuning in

I have Plex Server installed on my desktop PC, and I use the PS5 Plex app to watch downloaded shows on my main TV. My desktop is connected to the network via WiFi and my PS5 via ethernet cable directly into the router.

I had no problems doing this with my Hub 3 router. In fact, it all worked perfectly fine. If I wasn't using my PS5 app, I would use my Chromecast to stream content from my Plex server to the TV.

I was recently upgraded from a Hub 3 router to a Hub 4 router as per Virgin's request. Since then, I'm unable to connect to Plex from my PS5 app, and I can't play it via my Chromecast either. In fact, I can't stream anything via my Chromecast anymore, which is really frustrating because Plex is one of my primary ways of unwinding and decompressing.

And yes, I've connected all my devices including the Chromecast to the new WiFi router, reinstalled all of my apps and upgraded everything to the latest versions. AND I've restarted my hub and my computers.

I've contacted Virgin Media via Whatsapp twice. The first time they said it was a known issue their side and that I'd hear back within 7 days of a fix. It's been 10 days and I've not heard a peep. The second time they have decided it's a problem on my end instead and suggested sending an engineer to look at the problem. But I have low confidence.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? And were you able to resolve it?

Any help or even just a shared experience would be a great relief right now. Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11

I'd really like it to work if it can. It's a pretty basic requirement.

silverberrysnow
Tuning in

** SOLUTION **

So, the engineer they sent round knew nothing about Plex and couldn't solve my problem.

After some research I found that one of the main reasons my devices couldn't connect to Plex was due to Virgin's DNS settings. So, for laptops that won't connect to the server, I recommend updating the DNS' of your device to one of these.

The PS5 also requires some extra security when connecting to the Plex server. Plus the PS5 app is quite buggy. So I hit a dead-end with the PS5. And with the Chromecast.

To get Plex on my TV I ended up buying a Roku streaming stick and it seems to be working well now.

TL;DR - buy a Roku stick.