cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please let me cancel

andrewmorgan2
Joining in

Hi team,

Please may i cancel my contract and return my wifi box. I have a masters in computer science and I can't navigate your services, how is it this complex? This is besides the point though cancel my account please, none of the customer service stuff works. What happens if I just stop paying? Cuz this has turned into a multi-day jon, no one has time for that. Can you sue me? because if so this is a fantastic trap well played I guess 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you a new customer (less than 14 days) if so cancelling is easy and free.  If not then you can cancel easily but you will incur a hefty early disconnection fee.  NEVER just stop paying or your credit rating will be ruined.

Let us know

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you a new customer (less than 14 days) if so cancelling is easy and free.  If not then you can cancel easily but you will incur a hefty early disconnection fee.  NEVER just stop paying or your credit rating will be ruined.

Let us know

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you simply want to leave (with no further discussion with VM) you can send a letter (use a signed for delivery service for proof of delivery)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving

Use the 'I want to cancel' button on the link above for the Sunderland address

OFCOM yesterday announced an investigation into VM's practices and behaviour when customers are trying to cancel.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/bulletins/enforcement-bulletin/open-cases/cw_01275

There is an email address and case no. at the bottom if you wish to share your experiences with the OFCOM investigation

Don't stop paying your subscription though. There are plenty of past topics on here where that has back fired on the customer after VM started logging payment defaults and, for some, this resulted in the bailiffs visiting and a damaged credit history.

Thanks for the reply!. I'm not a new customer, I signed up to a student contract for 9 months and figured that it ended at that period. But now it's charging twice as much and I can't work out how to cancel, the online chat does work, I can't get in contact with the right person over the phone as the options are quite complex. And writing to them could take 2 months and that would be £100 which I cannot afford.

You need to give VM 30 days notice to cancel by whatever means you choose so writing in will make little difference to the timing. A written, signed-for letter does give you a paper trail with a signed for date of instruction to VM.

Other contact means are listed below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Contact-Us-link-broken/m-p/5289678#...

If you use the link I provided there is sometimes a live chat option after the 'I want to cancel' button.

Keep a record of any contact with VM (e.g. chat logs, messages etc.) as sometimes disconnection requests via phone etc. have not been processed as instructed.

andrewmorgan2
Joining in

Thank you soo much to everyone that responded, this was my first exsperience dealing with sorting out wifi and I realise how naive I have been. The way I read the information on the website was that it was for 9 months, and I was surpised that they weren't giving me ways of returning the router. In short I assumed that it would all be increably easy and did not realise that there was anti-consumer practices in place.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To summarise and add some more info for you perusal ...

"To cancel with with 30 days notice I used 020 3743 6947. Got straight through to UK Retentions"

Then try the online cancellation form first https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving

Or

1) call 150 from a VM phone or by dialling 0345 454 1111 - select options 1,1,4,4, - thats the UK based retentions team - but calling at 08.01 is the best time to get through without being diverted offshore I would record the conversation too. "TOP TIP: If you're struggling to get through or are tired of waiting in the queue - you can try Virgin Media's cancellation and retentions department directly on…. 0800 952 2277 or  0800 052 2001 - - or some have used 020 3743 6947 - but no guarantee of getting through on these either though

2. Guaranteed way to cancel is in writing to…

Virgin Media
Sunderland
SR43 4AA

Include dates, name ,address and all account details. They say to also include your phone number so they can call you to confirm - probably to make you an offer to stay.
Do it by registered mail next day delivery guaranteed and with a receipt for signature on arrival.

3. Or, if a new customer in the 14 day period - completing the cancellation form you have been given as part of your welcome pack and returning this to them at the address specified on the form (the Sunderland address?).

Whatever you do DO NOT cancel your direct debit until the final bill has been settled or or it will cause all sorts of issues you dont want.
---------------------
Send the letter by Royal Mail Guaranteed delivery and save a copy along with the proof of sending and the proof of delivery with signature.

Some information on cancelling & early disconnection fees are here...

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

--------------------
John
--------------------