Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Persistent super hub 4 issues

Hi

Ever since I had the super hub 4 installed I’ve been having persistent issues with signal dropping off various devices (Nest, streaming on tv, alexa, ring doorbell). When I do the online or telephony help self diagnosis checks, it always says there is a wifi error (see example of screenshot from this morning). I reset the super hub but same error persists.

I got through to a member of the team last month who could see there were some issues, and did a reset at virgin’s end and they said that would resolve the issues. I’ve given it three weeks and the issues persist, so I’m looking for some assistance.

The advice from virgin media on Twitter was to buy a third party router, or post on the forums. This seems odd as I’m using the latest router in the exact same place as my hub 3 (which was working fine). I don’t want to have to buy a third party router when there seems to be a constant issue from the new hub 

CBE6143E-7140-4561-A4FF-60D778B726C3.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Persistent super hub 4 issues

All SH4s have that error on the test, if the sh4 wifi doesn't work for you then your only option is another router or a downgrade to a sh3

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I still have my old hub and have requested to be able to use that again, but I’ve been told it’s “not possible” due to wifi speeds. I set it up but it wouldn’t connect.

My wifi speed/package hasn’t increased since my move to super hub 4, so I’m not sure why I can’t use it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Have you refined your Wi-Fi?

Split the Wi-Fi bands, picked clear/less congested channels etc?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No, over the summer I had an engineer install a new Hub 3 when the old one broke and he categorically told me not to split them, and he was shocked that the previous engineer had split them. He put everything back on to one network (used to be split as 2g and 5g). 

I don’t really understand routers and the like, so not sure what packets and channels refer to, or how to clear them or spot a congested one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is totally up to you of course but the consensus on here is to refine as shown below ...

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name [SSID] > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name [SSID] > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub then reboot using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your Wi-Fi again.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

When you connect the devices do it at the furthest point from the Hub that the device will be used.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I will give it a go as been passed to 5 departments this morning over 3 hours. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are these instructions the same for the super hub 4?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Vernoncakes wrote:

Are these instructions the same for the super hub 4?

TBH, I don't know. If not they will be similar.

If they are the same let us know so that we can be confident advising other users of the Hub 4.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sh4 and Sh3 GUI is almost identical
I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos