cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent orange light hub 3

boltybabe
On our wavelength

Permanent orange light on, never green lights. Although my Ethernet connection is good all the time I’m getting big variations in speed over Wi-Fi when I do speed tests. I turn off all my devices with the exception of my laptop which I use for the test. Upload speeds are always consistent. The download speed is well below my Ethernet speed and well below the speed my laptop is capable of. I am never more than 15 metres from my hub. When I use the laptop at my mothers house I get much better results from her hub 4. I can’t help feeling that there must be an issue with my hubs Wi-Fi. I recently received a Wi-Fi booster as part of my new package and this hasn’t improved my speeds. Been on phone for two nights now, was told I’d get a hub 5 sent out and then I would need to be upgraded for an extra £26 a month!!

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Orange light means nothing re. the connection - its just an ageing LED fading/failing over time.

So first thing is to check for any “known network faults - Try in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

Then, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

If it just wifi - see this

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - so its worth trying - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless and poor value “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room it’s now called… Wifi Max
See if anything in here helps….

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/wifi-max

You call 0800 064 3850 to order the first one after scanning for blackspots using the connect App.- or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you. If you do call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hub 3 permanent orange light. Reboot green for about a minute then orange again, very warm. WiFi problems all over the house. PlayStation unable to go online. Been on phone twice ‘ran tests ‘nothing wrong with it’ second guy says you need to upgrade speed £26 a month more. Said they will flag for techs, asked for a call from technician said ok but no call. If your a new customer you get the new stuff but leave loyal customers with failing old equipment

Should add, Sam knows speed test in any other room can’t see hub

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is the same post you made on Thursday. Dont double post.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Permanent-orange-light-hub-3/m-p/5277505#M5...

Have you checked everything I suggested?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello boltybabe.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with your speeds over WIFI. 

I did run a quick check on the Hub and can see one of the downstream power levels are out of range.
I'd like to take a look into this for you, as we will need to arrange an engineer visit.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L