cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pausing your broadband

V_lees
Just joined

Is there a way to set times for pausing and unpausing your childrens wifi access. I used to be able to set times for the wifi to pause at night and unpause in the morning with BT app when we had that. Can you do that on the Vigin media connect app as I vannot find it and do not want to mess with having to go on every night and every morning to pause then unpause it

6 REPLIES 6

sophist
Trouble shooter

I don’t believe that there’s a reliable way to do it with the hub, you’ll need a 3rd party router that does this sort of thing… 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Someone with more familiarity with VM Hubs will comment - but what Hub model do you have?

I know it will be very basic as its the main reason I got my own router 20 years ago to control my kids access. Third party routers are far far more accomplished at doing this - they have far greater functionality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

asim18
Fibre optic

If you have a HUB 3, go to your router config page at http://192.168.0.1 and login.

Click Advanced Settings, under Security go to MAC Filtering.

You will see a list of devices connected to your router. Select one of the devices you want to block, then go down and press "add rule". Then add another device if you wish and press add rule between each device.

Once your list of devices you want to block looks OK, go right to the bottom it says "When would you like your MAC filtering to be active?"

Select "I only want to restrict internet access at" and select the times then press apply changes.

You can also set times individually for each day of the week, so you can allow more time on weekends.

However, this facility is very much a bit of a blunt instrument in as much as any tech savvy person teenager will know how to spoof the MAC address and hence bypass any and all restrictions - well unless you have some stupidly complex local network setup.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unless the hub is locked away they can just do a pin-hole reset. A quick and nasty way to get around a lot of restrictions. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

asim18
Fibre optic

Yeah. Many restrictions can be bypassed with enough determination. And that's what the real problem is, why are kids so determined to get on the internet? Kids nowadays are desperate for TickTocks and InstantGrams and whatnot.

It's just the times we live in now, social media corporations are battling for market share of younger internet users, I was very saddened to see "Tick Tock" plastered at every Euros match this year. Even if you block TickTock and whatnot, that's all the kids want these days. Not only do they want it, but society pressures them into these things "You are not cool if you don't waste 12 hours a day on instant gram".