Menu
Shazwalt
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Pathetic Wifi wireless speeds!!!

I'm beyond exasperated as I've just spend 1hr 40 mins on the phone trying explain that our wireless speed is pants (the average wireless is 20mbps & the wired speed is 80mbps). We pay for 200mbps.  Basically they say that there's nothing wrong with any of their equipment (we've the Hub3 which I know is rubbish anyway as we had problems with it when it arrived). The speed started getting really bad about 2 months ago & the hub & all our devices have been switched off & on every which way so many times I can't even count.  Because their systems showing that the wired speed is ok & they can't see anything wrong with the hub, they can't do anything to help us. They've literally said that its not their fault that the wireless speeds are awful & they can't guarantee the speeds anyway. I think this is a complete cop out! In this day & age with so many people having wireless devices in their homes why can't we get better speeds. Nothing has changed in our home over the past year, so there's no reason for the change. All our devices are fairly new - especially our TV, that drops out every few days. It's even started to show a notification on the screen now to let us know the wifi is not connected. We're waiting for a manager to ring us back tonight. We want, 1: Them to send us the Super Hub 4 to see if that helps. 2: If they don't give us that, we want someone to at least come to the house to thoroughly look into what's going wrong with our system. 3: We're leaving!! We don't want to have to leave, but we're paying nearly £60 a month for this dross, when it has the same power of a potato!! Has anyone found a way around this. We have Alexa routines set up in some of our rooms. We don't use it heavily, it's only a 3 bedroom semi & we have to reconnect every time we walk into some of the rooms. It also doesn't work in 2 of the rooms on the house. Any advise gratefully received. TIA #myheadsfried

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Pathetic Wifi wireless speeds!!!

As already pointed out by the help desk, WiFi performance and speed are not guaranteed in the contract. Only wired.

You say you’re only getting 80mb on a wired device, is this a laptop/pc with a 1gb network port directly connected to the hub via ethernet? (No powerline / boosters involved...?). Is the Ethernet cable at least a cat5e cable? (Cable spec should be printed at regular intervals on the cable itself)

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

"In this day & age with so many people having wireless devices in their homes why can't we get better speeds"

This is the problem. The more wireless devices in range. on or off your network will effect wifi speeds

If you are getting 80mbps it sounds like you are using a 10/100 network card

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Shazwalt
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by a 10/100 ethernet, but as I said to the Virgin chap, our PC is rarely used, so it really doesn't matter what the wired speed is. What's more important is the wireless speeds. I don't see why we should have to pay for higher maps when it was ok before the beginning of December. Also I don't think the speed has anything to do with it constantly dropping out - or does it? Weirdly it drops out more in the late evening, which isn't our peak usage time

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Shazwalt wrote:

Many thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by a 10/100 ethernet, but as I said to the Virgin chap, our PC is rarely used, so it really doesn't matter what the wired speed is. What's more important is the wireless speeds. I don't see why we should have to pay for higher maps when it was ok before the beginning of December. Also I don't think the speed has anything to do with it constantly dropping out - or does it? Weirdly it drops out more in the late evening, which isn't our peak usage time

It will show the 'Speed (Mbps)' each device is connected to the HUB (WHERE THEY ARE RIGHT NOW!). You halve to two thirds that value to get the effective speed.

0 Kudos
Shazwalt
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply. We're not really worried about the wired speed, it's the wireless speeds that should be an awful lot better.  I think it's a complete cop out that they say they can't guarantee it, when the majority of users have wireless devices thes4 days. I want to know what's happened from the beginning of December for our wifi to be so bad. We haven't changed anything in our home or bought any new devices (it won't even work in the loo any more lol). We're constantly having to disconnect the wifi & reconnect it when we go into certain rooms because it drops out!

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is the wireless dropping out or the internet connection dropping out? If it's the wireless you would probably be better of investing in a decent third party router, that way you can put the Virgin Hub into modem mode and let the router deal with all the traffic. This would give you better wi-fi coverage and if you go for the likes of a wi-fi 6 capable router you would get better speeds (depending on device capabilities). There are loads of options from Asus, TP Link etc and seeing as the VM Hubs are well known for their lack of wi-fi capabilities you would be better of using your own equipment, especially if you are suffering from poor wi-fi coverage and speed.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Shazwalt wrote:

Many thanks for your reply. We're not really worried about the wired speed, it's the wireless speeds that should be an awful lot better.  I think it's a complete cop out that they say they can't guarantee it, when the majority of users have wireless devices thes4 days. I want to know what's happened from the beginning of December for our wifi to be so bad. We haven't changed anything in our home or bought any new devices (it won't even work in the loo any more lol). We're constantly having to disconnect the wifi & reconnect it when we go into certain rooms because it drops out!

They don’t guarantee it because it can be influenced by so many external factors that they have no control over. Live in a mansion? Live in a block of flats where there’s 100 other WiFi networks competing for airspace? They provide service to both examples and in both cases WiFi might struggle to give reliable service across the property. 

maybe your neighbours bought a new router to improve their WiFi signal and now it’s interfering with yours. Maybe you got a new fridge which interferes with it somehow. Maybe it’s just a failing hub. 

this forum is littered with examples of people complaining about WiFi performance. Most of them ultimately resolve it by buying some decent WiFi kit. 

you can lament the fact that the hub isn’t fit for your purpose, or you can seek an alternative provider who may provide better hardware that better meets your needs, or you may  get a new hub from VM that improves things, but if it’s just WiFi signal that’s an issue then you can resolve it properly and on a long terms basis by spending some money. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Shazwalt wrote:

Sending data in the air is hard VM can just default the hub in modem mode at any time say they don't support router mode its only in router mode for marketing for having wifi matching other ISP as a short team solution VM will do just fine if they didn't do router mode but they are and its not as good as it can be and their not going to make it better in the next hub.      

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Do a scan with a Wi-Fi scanning app and see what congestion there is around your home.  See if there’s a better channel to use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos