Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Painfully slow internet speeds - Flashing green wifi light

Hi everyone

Looking for help with our broadband. We are on the 200mb package but for the last 2 weeks we have been getting really bad internet. Cant play online games, cant stream netflix and now zoom wont even work for our jobs. Speed tests range from 1mb download to 20 at the absolute most. 

We had an engineer round to replace the Hub3 but still having these issues - hub 3 has white light and flashing green wifi - any help greatly appreciated

We have reset numerous times, switched off and on and replaced hub and still no luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Painfully slow internet speeds - Flashing green wifi light

The flashing green lights are a known bug on the Hub 3, sometimes they stop after a couple of days, sometimes pressing the WPS button for 20 seconds will sort them out and one definite fix is to put some black tape over them.

As for the speed problems, are the connected devices using Wi-Fi or ethernet cable to connect to the Hub ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike

Thank you for your response. Everything is connected to Wifi rather than ethernet. Only 5 devices in the household though  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Until you can check the WAN speed at the Hub using an ethernet cable connected device (1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook) you can't tell whether you have a WAN problem or a LAN (Wi-Fi) problem.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've just ran a test with ethernet cable

Wifi - Download speed - 5mb

Ethernet  - Download speed 221mb

Good to know it works properly but we cant run cables to all devices, plus on the connect app it says the reception is "great" in every room

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@bsausage88 wrote:

I've just ran a test with ethernet cable

Wifi - Download speed - 5mb

Ethernet  - Download speed 221mb

Good to know it works properly but we cant run cables to all devices, plus on the connect app it says the reception is "great" in every room

The signal may well be great but that doesn’t mean the speed is (as you’ve found out).

The 5Ghz band has the speed advantage but not the distance.

The 2.4Ghz band has the distance advantage but not the speed.

Judging by the speeds you’re getting I would say you’re connecting on the 2.4Ghz band. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

Mike Robinson

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

here we go, deleted personal info

DESKTOP- /1000Ethernet

The wi-fi ones are all low hundreds 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

They’re on the 200Mbps package and got over 200Mbps on the speedtest...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Mike Robinson