Menu
wowslee
Settling in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Paid for 60 mbps, getting 45 mbps through ethernet

Anybody know what steps I should take to troubleshoot this? I have ethernet plugged into my pc and I get 40-45 mbps, but it caps at 45 mbps with nobody using the wifi.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Paid for 60 mbps, getting 45 mbps through ethernet

Guidance on how to start the troubleshooting: Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as text, not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.  But before you do that, if you're really on a 60 Mbps contract, then you clearly haven't renegotiated your contract for a lllooonnnngggggg time, and you could get a faster speed and a better price by renegotiating, and wrap the slow speed fault up at the same time.  This may be easier for you than following the fault finding instructions above.  Even at only £50 a month, because VM now have 18 month contracts, you will be negotiating a £900 commitment, don't treat this like haggling over a secondhand lawnmower you're buying from an acquaintance.  So, accepting that "the game is afoot", consider this strategy:

1.  Check out price comparison web sites like Uswitch for the cheapest Openreach package you'd consider - presumably the fastest available from some scumbag outfit like Talktalk, Sky/Now or Vodafone.  In my book this cheapest offer is a bargaining counter, and you will be happily share their best offers with VM's agent in step 3.

2.  Do your research on Trustpilot and ISPReview to read other customer's reviews on these other companies - maybe draw up a simple table - company, speed, bundle, price, average customer review, and include VM on that table.  I'd say also compare the big ISPs with poor service with smaller customer service focused companies like Zen, Aquiss, AAISP, IDNet, uno and the like.  If it does come to changing and you want the lowest price regardless of service, at least know what to expect.  Personally I'd accept a slightly higher price for far superior service, but that's an individual choice.  You don't share any of these thoughts in the next step!

3.  Phone VM, but select options that will take you through to "retentions" who deal with cancellations, so that's stuff like "about my account" and "thinking of leaving".  Know at the start of the call what you want the outcome to be, and know what you will settle for (have these two boundaries written down in front of you along with the table above).  You need to have these boundary values firmly fixed because you won't be able to negotiate a deal and leave it on the table whilst you consider it, that's not how the system works.  The agent you are dealing with will probably be paid a bonus if they can retain you, but won't be paid the bonus if you end the call with "I'd like to think about that", and any subsequent call will be a different agent, and you're starting from scratch again.

4.  During the call, explain that your current package is too expensive, too slow, and doesn't even deliver the contracted speeds and you hope they can help because you're seriously considering the offer from Company Z, and that's only £Y a month, and would save you £XXX over 18 months, as well as getting you a new hub and faster speeds than VM are actually delivering to you.  See what they say.  The agent will probably offer you a discounted bundle, but that first offer is rarely the best, so unless it is an absolute steal, you say "thanks but that's still not enough, it is nowhere near Company Z's price, all I want is good value broadband that works reliably, and I haven't got either?"  Ignore any "throw ins" that you don't want such as (perhaps) a free SIM or a channel package you wouldn't have chosen. 

6.  If you're going to accept VM's best offer, this will be a new 18 month contract, get the agent to run through all important aspects including speed, any TV bundles (and channels important to you), any landline and landline add ons, so that this should be recorded on VM's systems in case there's any problem later on.  And make sure they've got a technician booked to come out the poor connection, because if you're only getting 45 Mbps now, then there's a line quality fault and a speed upgrade won't fix that.

7.  If the Openreach alternatives are adequate, and VM's best offer still above your minimum, or there is any difficulty about getting the fault fixed, be prepared to say "no" and walk away and cancel (but only cancel when the Openreach line from a new ISP is installed and working). 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

wowslee
Settling in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just first off, my default gateway is at 192.168.2.1 (not sure if that means something). I can't seem to find a "check router status" option anywhere. Thanks for your detailed response though and I will definitely try to get a better plan.

0 Kudos
wowslee
Settling in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Also, is uswitch based in the US only? If so do you have an alternative for Canadians?

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@wowslee wrote:

Also, is uswitch based in the US only? If so do you have an alternative for Canadians?

This is a UK based forum, by the way.  🙂

0 Kudos
wowslee
Settling in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ohhh, I had no idea xD
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@wowslee wrote:
Ohhh, I had no idea xD

I didn't even know that VM were in Canada!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@lotharmat wrote:

@wowslee wrote:
Ohhh, I had no idea xD

I didn't even know that VM were in Canada!

VM parent Company Liberty Global are everywhere !

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh well, none of my advice on speeds, comparing other services applies.  It was a good plan during the few minutes it lasted.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos