cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss for a short time at fixed intervals

jameselson
On our wavelength

Hi,

I problem I had in the past had returned in the last month or so. My speed and latency on my 1Gig/Hub4 connection are generally good but I get about five seconds of drop-out every 20 minutes or so, with a bigger drop out at hourly intervals. It makes video calls etc really frustrating. 

I can see the drop outs on all devices, wired and wireless, and even when I connect my laptop and nothing else directly to the router. 

I can also see the drop outs in a ping plot from think broadband (the regular red spikes sticking down from the top)  

jameselson_0-1671534374765.png

Restarting the router and the rest of my equipment doesn’t help.

Any ideas?

James

9 REPLIES 9

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jameselson

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about your broadband issue.

How has your connection been over the past couple of days? Have you noticed any improvement?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It was still really flaky on Wednesday evening. I couldn’t watch a streamed video without errors every 20 minutes. I wait about a minute, connection resumes and we get going again only to have the same happen 20 minutes later. I didn’t do anything yesterday that would have highlighted issues. 

jameselson_0-1671802479232.png

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the responses jameselson,

Sorry to hear that you're still experiencing service issues, just from checking the service I can see that you are affected by an area fault that has an estimated fix time of 28th Dec at 9:00.

Our team will be trying to resolve this matter as soon as possible.

Regards,

Kain

jameselson
On our wavelength

The problem is back. The problem as observed from outside (those red spikes):

2e55b30332232deee09a2a2edb403bbecc99884f-07-07-2023

And from the inside:

jameselson_1-1688720741001.png

Looks like drop-off between my Hub (192.168.0.1) and the next hop (10.53.34.205 - this is a private IP address, not sure what it is - something in the Virgin Network?

James

@jameselson wrote:

Looks like drop-off between my Hub (192.168.0.1) and the next hop (10.53.34.205 - this is a private IP address, not sure what it is - something in the Virgin Network?

Yes instead of VM showing the WAN gateway it show modems 10. connected gateway not sure why it .205 normally its.1 

---------------------------------------------------------------

So do these drop outs imply a problem with the router? Is it a faulty one, or a design flaw?

James

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey jameselson, sorry to see your confusion with this.

As my colleagues advised above you had been affected by an area outage which caused these issues before, upon our latest checks there don't seem to by any reported outages present at the minute.

If you're experiencing issues with your Wi Fi connection, please visit this page or use the VM Connect App to run our wireless network checks (scan for weak spots on the App) and see if the issue has to do with the in-home signal and coverage or other and how to fix it.

Do let us know how things look and what outcome you get from the above checks when you run those, we'll be eager to assist further from there.

Adri
Forum Team

jameselson
On our wavelength

It’s not a WiFi issue. Everything is connected via cables.  I can see the packets getting as far as the Virgin Hub. It’s the next hop that loses traffic, and it’s incredibly regular. Makes me think it’s a hardware or software fault on the hub. Kind of reaches some error threshold then restarts something, takes 50 seconds or so to reset and carries on. 

James

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies for this confusion, in order to help we've checked for further issues with the service we'll be monitoring the services for the next 24 hours.

Past this time you'll receive a text message to advise if it's all fixed or you'll need a technician visit.

Please, do let us know how things go from here. ^AG

Adri
Forum Team