Menu
JoshTheSlothKin
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Packet Loss when gaming.

I don't know if it's an issue with my router or the area we live in but you see I use a hub 3 router and for a few months now the LED light has been red. People say this is an overheating issue and I'm wondering if it can cause a constant packet loss in my Wi-Fi and slower speeds. I have been experiencing slower speeds and packet loss recently and I'm looking for some very useful feedback anyone?

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Packet Loss when gaming.

Have you tried a factory reset? Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet Loss when gaming.

An overheating hub can cause those symptoms, equally if the light stays red and there isn't overheating it can work fine (but still needs replacing).  I'm assuming you're not running it in modem mode with your own router?  Do a pinhole reset of the Hub, that sometimes cures the red light, if it doesn't then it'll need a new hub. 

The other thing is that the red light and the poor performance may be separate - in some areas VM's network can't cope with the traffic caused by home working, home schooling, and increased leisure use of the internet.  The only cure for that is the end of lockdown (or changing ISP if that's a quick and available option).

Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can do that immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos