Menu
PatrykDesecki
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Not Connecting To Ethernet

Today I had a new Virgin Broadband set up and installed, previously we were with BT. All devices are working fine, however my PS4 has a LAN cable plugged in and it is not connecting to the internet. Whenever I try to "Set-Up an Internet Connection" it says to plug in a LAN cable and try again. So I checked to see if there is a problem with the cable itself and there isn't as my PC is working perfectly fine and it is coming from the same port. I took my PS4 downstairs and plugged it into another Ethernet port and I had the same issue. It does manage to connect to WiFi. But the signal is weak and the PS4 is in my room, baring in mind that if I were to take it downstairs and connect it to the WiFi it would work perfectly fine. My guess is that it may still be registered to my old IP Adress ? or another issue. What is confusing is that all computers are working fine whilst using a Lan Cable.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Not Connecting To Ethernet

@PatrykDesecki wrote:

Today I had a new Virgin Broadband set up and installed, previously we were with BT. All devices are working fine, however my PS4 has a LAN cable plugged in and it is not connecting to the internet. Whenever I try to "Set-Up an Internet Connection" it says to plug in a LAN cable and try again. So I checked to see if there is a problem with the cable itself and there isn't as my PC is working perfectly fine and it is coming from the same port. I took my PS4 downstairs and plugged it into another Ethernet port and I had the same issue. It does manage to connect to WiFi. But the signal is weak and the PS4 is in my room, baring in mind that if I were to take it downstairs and connect it to the WiFi it would work perfectly fine. My guess is that it may still be registered to my old IP Adress ? or another issue. What is confusing is that all computers are working fine whilst using a Lan Cable.

how long is the ethernet run from the hub to the ps4?  when you took it downstairs, did you use a shorter cable?  do you get any link lights on the hub when you connect it or do they stay off?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@PatrykDesecki wrote:

BT use a different IP range (192.168.1.x vs VMs 192.168.0.x).

If you previously set a static IP on the PS4 that could explain why it isn't working.

PatrykDesecki
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes, at the back of my broadband the light is flashing whilst it is connected to the PS4, but when I connect my PC the light stays turned on. The ethernet is run from the router upstairs and into my room. The cable is 15 metres. And it goes into a wall port and then from there I plug in another ethernet cable to run to my PS4. But I don't think that matter because on that same cable my PC has ethernet connect to it.

0 Kudos
PatrykDesecki
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Ah ok, do you have any links that could show me how to revert it from a Static IP?

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@PatrykDesecki wrote:

Ah ok, do you have any links that could show me how to revert it from a Static IP?

https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-ps4/ 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

well, link lights is a good thing - so follow @carl_pearce's advice and it should start working 🙂

0 Kudos
PatrykDesecki
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank You! Also, do I need to set a new Static IP or get it to not be a Static IP? If that makes any sense. 

0 Kudos
PatrykDesecki
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sure, thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@PatrykDesecki wrote:

Thank You! Also, do I need to set a new Static IP or get it to not be a Static IP? If that makes any sense. 

You first need to check what is already setup under 'View Connection Status'.

If you see a 192.168.1.x address it must be a static IP from when you were with BT.

0 Kudos