cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC internet speed dropped hugely?

mjdmctaylor
Tuning in

Help! So, the other day I noticed a huge drop in my PC internet speeds. Rather than being the usual 300Mbps, it's down to 15Mbps and it's really frustrating. I've encountered this before, and thought I could fix it by splitting the SSIDs, but somehow it still gave me the same speed. (I have a virgin hub 4.0)

Before tinkering, my phone would get 300Mbps (it used to get 20 normally), and now my computer gets 20 (used to be 300).

I've tried reinstalling my network drivers, and doing a network reset, as well as resetting my router but still no luck.

------

Let me elaborate on what I found:

- When disabling 2.4GHz in the hub settings, it had no impact on internet speed for either device.

- When I split the SSIDs, on the 5GHz channel, my phone would get 300Mbps and my computer would get 20. This is not device specific, my brother's computer gets the same 20Mbps speed as mine now does.

- When split, my PC would only pickup the 5G channel, not the 2G. My phone would pickup both.

- When I connected to the 2G on my phone, the speeds would go back down to 20Mbps (like it should). I then put my PC on 5G, and still got the same 20Mbps speeds. I couldn't connect my PC to 2G as mentioned, because it just didn't appear.

- When I placed my PC's preferred band as 2G, the speeds would be 12-17, when I placed it under 5G, the speeds would be 18-23Mbps. It looks like it is switching, my PC just isn't working well with the 5G.

------

It's annoying, it's like my PC and phone have swapped speeds, and I can't revert it. I don't think it's a hardware issue since both mine and my brother's computers have the same issue.

Any advice / potential solutions?

Thanks.

EDIT: My phone looks like it's switched back to 2G, as the speeds are now 14Mbps.

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What do you get when you connect the computer or a laptop directly to the Hub by ethernet cable ?

With the Hub in Modem mode preferably

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I get normal speeds on my laptop (250Mbps) when I plug it in directly. I also get normal speeds on my laptyop in my room where my PC is located. I'm honestly thinking it's more of a isolated PC problem. My brother's speeds were just terrible due to his hardware I think, and it's always been that way.

To check whether it was my WiFi fin, I swapped it out for a network USB dongle. I tried the same USB dongle in my laptop, and PC. My laptop had significantly higher speeds than my PC.

I think I'm just gonna take my PC in for repair. I'm beyond clueless to what could've caused this, and even more clueless when it comes to solving it. Just sick of it at this point because I can't do anything in the 1 day off I have.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Before you do, can you boot it into "safe+networking" mode and then connect it directly to the Hub on ethernet cable, having put the Hub into modem mode (to disable any wifi connections and any other ethernet devices).

If it connects and runs at the expected speeds it means there is some software on the PC that is limiting speeds. If it doesnt its more like likely to be a hardware issue - assuming all the NIC drivers were up do date etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.