Menu
chayes030
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Overheating Hub 3.0

Hi all,

My Hub 3.0 has a solid red light and we've noticed we no longer get consistent WiFi in areas of the house we used too (and often no WiFi).

The hub is in a well ventilated area, it's dusted down regularly and actually feels cool to touch despite the troubleshooting info stating the solid red line means it's overheating. I've tried the troubleshooting settings, resetting etc. and the issue hasn't been fixed.

We've had this router, at least for 4 years but I've been with Virgin media longer than that (paused the account between house moves) and I am pretty sure we have the same router that we had before, I don't think they sent us a new one when we moved. Given it's reasonably old though I am unsure whether this needs replacing or whether I should just get WiFi boosters? I've seen the other posts with similar issues and generally the answer seems to be it needs replacing, I see no reason why this would be different but given it doesn't actually feel hot to touch I wanted to double check with my own post! 

Appreciate any initial thoughts (and hardware recommendations if you think WiFi boosters will be useful) and thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Overheating Hub 3.0

In Modem Mode the power light should be magenta.

In Router Mode the power light should be white.

In either Mode the red power light is an indication of over heating and most not be ignored.

Ensure that the Hub is in a well ventilated area and nothing is blocking the vent holes on the sides of the Hub.

If the Hub is in a clear area and is cool to touch and the red power light remains on the Hub must be replaced.

If the Hub is in a clear area and is hot to touch and the red power light remains on the Hub must be replaced.

Do not be fobbed off with "if it is cool it will be OK" or "Just blow a fan over it", this is dangerous advice.

When you go out or retire for the night ensure that the Hub is unplugged from the mains.

The only fix is a replacement Hub.

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 10 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.