Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outside internet cable cut

smg1993
Joining in

5E42797B-717F-492E-8F19-51D0DEDFC662.jpeg

D3274FF6-5BF4-44FF-AA76-EB10D2256B48.jpeg

Hello, we came home last night after a weekend away to find that our router box was flashing red and we had no WiFi. After talking to downstairs neighbour, it seems they are having the same problem and, when they investigated further, they noticed that the wires by the meters to the right of the building seem to have been completely cut over the weekend. 

I’m due a call back from Virgin Media, but would love any advice about what to do next in order to get this sorted as quickly as possible. Will a VM engineer be able to fix this?

9 REPLIES 9

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Fault will be fixed by VM technician for free.

The primary place to report faults or for service requests is Customer Services on 0345 454 1111/150 if you have a VM landline or wait two or three days for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Mr-Dice
On our wavelength

The 2 black wires that appear  to be cut are just to the phone sockets which aren't your  broadband  fibre cables. The other 2 black wires that are thicker are your broadband  cables which don't appear  to be cut .  Find the thicker black cable  which is  coming from the ground and connect  it at the top   exactly where someone  has screwed in the brown one . That brown one shouldn't even be there . Then find the cable that leads from your home and  out   along the wall   which should be also black the   and connect it to the bottom .  Make sure your not connecting your neighbours cable . They'll  have their own separate box connector . 

Mr-Dice
On our wavelength

Hmm bk . If the brown cable coming from the ground  is yours and it's still in use but they're   very old type then its fine where it is . Disconnect all the wires at the bottom  then find the cable leading  out off your home and connect  it at the bottom  .

Thank you for your reply! We have two black wires coming out from our living room (top floor flat) - one of these appears to still be connected and the other has been severed at the bottom (see pic). There are two places in the front garden where there are wires coming out of the ground and both are completely severed and not connectable - not sure which is for which. Do you think the severed one could be our internet cable? 

We've been given an outside engineer (VM) appointment for next Wednesday but I'm not sure whether they'll be able to do the work and my neighbours are with Sky and also affected. Do you know if there are any ways we could get someone out sooner? Thank you!

IMG_8699.JPGIMG_8706.JPGIMG_8703.JPG 

Mr-Dice
On our wavelength

The wire your holding in the first picture  is the phone wire  that's  nothing to do with  your broadband you can ignore that if you don't  have a landline. Hopefully the second  black wire coming  down outside of your flat isn't severed.  This  should only be wire connected at the bottom  of that little metal  box connection with 3 ports . Now you'll  need to identify  your 2 cables coming out from the ground which are yours.  One will be thick one will be thin  . Ignore the thin one. If thickest one is severed  and it's showing a white insulation inside around a single copper wire in the middle you'll  need a technician or someone you can fix it .  If that cable isn't  severed  then connect  the thick  cable at the top of that  little metal box  where there's  only one port at the top .  .  

Mr-Dice
On our wavelength

Btw I'm  not from Virgin Media . I just had fun having  to mess with those  cables to many times .

Haha thank you! Managed to get a cancellation appointment for this Weds so will wait for them to come rather than trying to handle live wires myself... thanks again for the advice!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That metal splitter should be mounted in a box, not just left on the ground. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Mr-Dice
On our wavelength

Yes . But looking  at the pictures  this was deliberately  done .