Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Outage in HP4?

My internet has been down for a couple of hours now. Broadband and TV both unavailable. Superhub 3 has flashing green power light and nothing else. Service status says no known issues, but neighbour has same fault. Online diagnostics confirm my internet is unavailable and says to book an engineer, provides a form with available slots, but any attempt to book one tells me the slot is unavailable. Tried calling 03330003101, was kept on hold for 35 minutes then it hung up on me. Tried calling back and it now says "due to coronavirus all our call centres are closed". Tweeted @virginmedia but no response. Neighbour did manage to get through to call centre and they told him he had to book an engineer even though at least two properties on same street have same problem so clearly not an issue with the domestic equipment. Any miracle cures out there or do I have to accept that £50+/month isn't enough to warrant basic customer service?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outage in HP4?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Area Status web page which usually covers >1000’s of customers) - that may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

If nothing shows on there, try calling it in as a fault (on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others) and see what they say when they test your connection. If they say it’s a known fault, get a fault reference number – n.b.- the UK call centre is still picking up and calling at 08.00 gives the best chance of getting through..

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

More than likely a blown cabinet amp. This will normally trigger a network alarm, but not always. So if a number of people in the same postcode area report it then it gets escalated to network teams.

Even if it is a blown amp you are probably looking at Monday morning for a resolution as a new amp will have to be obtained & calibrated to the location it’s going in on the network.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @tdt78 

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post. Sorry to hear you've been having issues with your services, I appreciate this is frustrating over the weekend, 

I've been able to locate your account and I can see that there are currently no area issues listed, and that your hub has been having issues. 

Do you have any service today?

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for your replies. The service returned around 4-5 hours after it initially dropped out. My neighbour's service returned at the same time. No idea how localised the issue was but this clearly shows it wasn't confined to my hub or equipment inside my house. 

The most frustrating thing about the issue was the fact that it wasn't possible to either a) contact support, or b) book an engineer via the website. So I was left without any internet and no way to report the issue.

Generally I'm happy with the Virgin Media service, but this was a very poor experience and it did make me wonder if it's time to switch providers. Especially since a good chunk of my monthly payment covers line rental for a phone line that isn't used.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi tdt78, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We're glad to hear the services have now returned, again our apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

Please feel free to get back in touch if you experience any further issues. 

Many thanks, 

Hetty

Hetty_R
0 Kudos