cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of the country and my broadband goes down.

Gordonwd
Joining in

My broadband has died while I am out of the country denying me access to my security cameras and other wifi-enabled kit. A family member has now made two special visits to the house to reset the modem/router but the service remains out.

I've recently taken delivery of a new modem/router to cope with my updated 1Gb service (but it's not yet installed). Is it possible that my old modem/router is now no longer recognised or compatible with the new service?

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gordonwd wrote:

My broadband has died while I am out of the country denying me access to my security cameras and other wifi-enabled kit. A family member has now made two special visits to the house to reset the modem/router but the service remains out.

I've recently taken delivery of a new modem/router to cope with my updated 1Gb service (but it's not yet installed). Is it possible that my old modem/router is now no longer recognised or compatible with the new service?

It's more than likely. The new router should automatically activate if plugged in. Whether it's plugged in or not the account will update automatically a week or so after the hub delivery, taking the old hub off the system.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

The new VM Hub will have different Wi-Fi details to the Hub that is about to be retired.

Keep hold of the old Hub, VM are notorious at the moment for saying the old Hub can be recycled by the customer and only a few months later demand its return and then charge a fee if you don't / can't send it back.

Gordonwd
Joining in

VM have confirmed the problem is the uninstall new hub.

What a totally ludicrous business process : send out a hub, make the completely unsubstantiated assumption that the customer has installed it, and switch the service over, thus disabling the old hub.

Customer out of the country when the hub is delivered (surprise surprise in the middle of July) thus creating a denial of service.

Shocking.

Client62
Legend

Have your family member swap the new Hub into place. 

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Gordonwd,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection after the new router was sent out to you, I can see that you have spoken to the team since you last posted and your issues are being dealt with by the correct department to resolve the problems.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L