Menu
uninspiredcup
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ordering cable

Hello. I got Virgin Media a few months back and had no trouble using Wifi. 

It is problematic however in online fighting games such as the recently released Guilty Gear: Strive where wifi is looked down upon due to unstable connections.

The router is upstairs and i'm looking for a long cable from up stair to down stair (around 10 meter) for a direct connection. 

Could someone recommend the cheapest cable possible that will do the job please. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
S7771
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ordering cable

Just go on Amazon and type in "10M Ethernet Cable"

0 Kudos
uninspiredcup
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Any cable will work? 

0 Kudos
uninspiredcup
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I just checked with my friend and he said some of them will throttle the connection.

This will work fine, yes?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Network-1000Mbit-Compatible-CAT-5e/dp/B087QPM92P/ref=sr_1_2?dchild...

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Possibly ok, but I would never buy flat cable. The cable is designed to have a certain number of twists within it to stop crosstalk between pairs. Don’t really see how they maintain the twist ratio in a flat cable.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Get Cat5e as a minimum - older cables may limit speeds to 100mbps. Cat6/7 have better shielding from crosstalk and interference

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator