cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orbi rbk850 and Virgin Hub 5 "Internet disconnected" regularly

User5634
Tuning in

Hello there!

I've been researching online and within this community for some time, but I am unable to determine why my Orbi reports "Internet disconnected" followed by "Internet connected" every hour or so (sometimes 2 to 3 times within an hour). When this occurs, all connected devices lose their connection for upto 20 - 30 seconds. However, anything connected directly to the virgin hub 5 doesn't lose its connection, nor does the hub log have any entries at that time. Ethernet logs confirm the loss of internet too, but the hub 5 remains connected, or at least I don't experience dropouts. The hub logs are clear too.

Everything has worked fine for the last year since purchasing the Orbi. It seems to have started in October. I'm on the 1 gig connection, tried in modem mode and router mode, but the same behaviour persists. I've also tried the Orbi in AP mode with the hub 5 as the router - same result. I've reset both to factory a few times, I've followed the setup sequence, but this behaviour continues.

I just don't know what has changed. There was a hub 5 firmware update in October - could this have something to do with it.

I've exported the Orbi debug logs and grepped through the files for the timestamps, and I do see acknowledgement of the internet going down, but I don't know why. Even though I don't subscribe to armour or circle, I do see those processes outputting logs at those times.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2

User5634
Tuning in

The router is an rbr850, the set is with satellites is called RBK853

Also I think we can close this issue, as I purchased a second-hand router, and it does not have any issues, so it is not an issue with Virgin!