Menu
Jamesstupple
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Orange light and intermittent wifi

Morning all 

I have having real issues with intermittent WiFi and it’s causing problems to my work. The router power light is alway dark orange /red and I think I need a new router. I have tried every reset imaginable and many times but nothing has helped. I have tried calling Virgin but wait for 30 mins and never get through.

please someone from virgin help !!! 🙂 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Orange light and intermittent wifi

It may be a good idea to carry out a factory reset on the Hub …

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once the lights are stabilised check your system again.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Jamesstupple
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have done this 3/4 times over the last week and it never helps. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

In Modem Mode the power light should be magenta.

In Router Mode the power light should be white.

In either Mode the red power light is an indication of over heating and most not be ignored.

Ensure that the Hub is in a well ventilated area and nothing is blocking the vent holes on the sides of the Hub.

If the Hub is in a clear area and is cool to touch and the red power light remains on the Hub must be replaced.

If the Hub is in a clear area and is hot to touch and the red power light remains on the Hub must be replaced.

Do not be fobbed off with "if it is cool it will be OK" or "Just blow a fan over it", this is dangerous advice.

When you go out or retire for the night ensure that the Hub is unplugged from the mains.

The only fix is a replacement Hub.

You can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 10 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Jamesstupple
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It’s very well ventilated and what’s bumping it ? 

0 Kudos