Menu
Emsho
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Orange Light

Hi, My virgin WiFi Hub 3.0 has got a constant orange  light and our internet is working intermittently. This is worrying as atm we’re working from home.
I have:

- turned it on and off at the wall

- checked all cables, switches etc for loose connections

- pressed reset button for 15 seconds

and the orange light is still on. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Orange Light

There's no official status of an orange light on the Hub 3.  Most likely this is a failure of the multi-colour LED control circuitry, but because this light is also the overheating indicator when red, it isn't acceptable to have the LED malfunction.  Try a pinhole reset using the hole on the back of the hub (which will erase any settings you've made - you can use the back up and restore function under the hub's admin settings if these are material).

If that doesn't work, let us know and I (or anybody else so inclined) will escalate this to the forum staff.  No point phoning it in - VM's telephone support wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about, and would probably tell you that all hubs do this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Whoops - just re-read and seen that you've reset.  I'll flag this for the forum staff.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Emsho
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I had already tried pressing reset for 10 seconds. I have tried again for 50 seconds. The main light was still orange, then they all flashed green. Now the main light is orange again. 

edit: thank for flagging !

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

A hub replacement is a necessity, but be aware that an LED fault could be a voltage control problem that affects the rest of the hub and thus your connection (and so a replacement should solve all issues), or it may be more localised to the LED and it's direct control circuit, in which case the connection problems may be a separate issue.  Let us know how it goes.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emsho, 

Thanks for posting and sorry to see you're having some issues with the connection.

I can see you've contacted us today and been advised of an intermittent issue, I can confirm this is correct.

The system has identified a short term network issue that could cause degradation or an intermittent service.

We believe it will only be a short term issue and it will be fixed very soon.

Alex_Rm

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Alex_RM : Hopefully that resolves the service problems, but what about the orange LED?

Emsho
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Wifi is working today, but light is still orange!

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emsho,

Thank for coming back to us, as you advised the internet is working fine, if you have had the router fore a while the light can fade and look a different colour, please can you post a picture of it here?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'd be very interested to know the scientific explanation that VM are proposing for how a multi-colour LED "fades", and why that isn't a problem on an overheating indicator for a device that most customers leave powered on 24/7 ? 

0 Kudos