Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Only getting 100mbps using Netgear PL1000 powerline

Hi there,

I bought the Netgear PL1000 powerlines to use on my computer which is upstairs. I pay for M350 broadband but for some reason the powerlines are capped at 100mbps. I am using Cat5e cables and according to the website they have gigabit Ethernet ports so i am unsure why this is not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Only getting 100mbps using Netgear PL1000 powerline

Because power lines never achieve the headline speed.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Only getting 100mbps using Netgear PL1000 powerline

I take it you have plugged the adapters directly into the electric sockets and not through power strips.

How are you connecting to the Powerline adapters?
What speed do you get when you plug a device straight into the adapter upstairs ?
What devices are you testing with?

I would bear in mind that powerline adapters are heavily affected by noise on your electrical mains, testing wired through the powerline adapters will give you some idea how noisy your mains are. It may be worth testing with the adapters in adjacent sockets to reduce the length of the path through the electric wiring  to give you a reference point.

I tested a set of the Netgears and got about 180 - 220Mbps wired and about 150Mbps wirelessly.
I would note that you pay for the speed delivered to the Hub, beyond the Hub it is up to you.
It would be worth testing the speed being delivered to the Hub with a gigabit enabled PC connected directly to the Hub by CAT 5E or better Ethernet cable.

0 Kudos