cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ongoing broadband dropping out

ymh0046
Joining in

I have had an ongoing problem with my broadband dropping out in the area since 27th July - fault F010839595. This was supposedly fixed on the 8th Aug, but i was still having problems, to which an engineer attended my house.
It is still happening and now i'm being told via 150 - that its again a network issue in the area. How long is it going to take them to fix this issue which has been ongoing since the 27th July.  I work from home in IT support and as you can imagine its very very frustrating.

13 REPLIES 13

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ymh0046, thank you for your post.

We're sorry to hear about the problem you've been experiencing and that you feel this way 😔

I've taken a look on our side and can see your area is currently being impacted by a SNR (Signal-to-noise ratio) outage.

The estimated fix time is tomorrow at midday. You can monitor this by checking your service status here.

We really hope you're back up and running as soon as possible.

Regards,
Daniel

ymh0046
Joining in

Thanks for the update - i will see what happens tomorrow. I have been checking the service status page and it always reports no issues

ymh0046_0-1692713819630.png

Hi @ymh0046, no problem at all. Thank you for your response.

If you're still experiencing problems beyond midday tomorrow, and the service status checker still isn't detecting any issues and providing a revised estimated fix time, please pop back to us.

Regards,
Daniel

ymh0046
Joining in

Hi , good day.
Well yesterday afternoon I was still having the same issues, so decided to check again this morning. Still i am contsantly facing packet loss and also my broadband is dropping out. The status checker page reports all green, no issues 😞   Are they still working on a fix ?

After no update yesterday - still facing the same issue 😞

54 packets transmitted, 23 packets received, 57.4% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 20.284/25.424/39.912/5.670 ms

WorstISP
Up to speed

Hi umh0046. I'm having the same issues in the London, Swiss Cottage area since the 8th of August following a 2 day total outage.

Can you open your CPE (the "hub" as Virgin call it, the black box that gives you wifi and such) and copy the logs here?

To do this:
- Open your browser and enter 192.168.0.1 into your address bar (same as you would google.com or bbc.com)
- Don't bother logging in (you won't need to)
- Click on "Check router status", beneath the login section (see attached image)
- Copy & paste the Upstream, the Downstream, and the Network Log *DO NOT TAKE A SCREENSHOT, the logs show your CPE's Mac address, which is personal information, copy and paste them into the reply and the mac address will automatically be removed*

I suspect that you'll see some logs with the following messages:
- "SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync"
- "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out"
- "16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel"
- "Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted"

These messages are informing you that your ONU (the white box on your wall) cannot establish a connection to the OLT (this is the device that you and your neighbours lines connect to, it's basically the point where you access Virgin's network).

If you are seeing these issues I describe, it's nothing to do with your CPE (the "hub" as Virgin call it). Any "support" you get asking you to restart/reset your CPE, reconfigure your wifi, or "resolutions" to replace the CPE, are pointless. If Virgin give you these bogus replies about replacing/resetting your hub, you should consider it as a statement that they are not investigating the true issue.

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 10.25.33.png

ymh0046
Joining in

@WorstIP - Ive just checked the status page and again it is saying there are issues in my area that the engineer is working on. From the 27th July this seems to be a loop of  no issues, issues, fixed, no issues, issues..... etc etc.
@Daniel_Et  any further comments or eta's on a fix ?

Hi @ymh0046, thank you for your posts and apologies for the delay in responding.

I've taken another look on our side and can see your area is still being impacted by a SNR (Signal-to-noise ratio) outage.

The estimated fix time is Tuesday (29th August) at 7pm.

We hope you're back up and running as soon as possible.

Regards,

Daniel 

Yeah, these issues are affecting a lot of customers right now, they should already know what's happening.

Can I ask you to report these issues to Ofcom so they can see that Virgin is failing to provide reliable service? You can do that here: https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

If enough people report these intermittent T3 errors to Ofcom they might force Virgin to actually address this.