Menu
ascotquays
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ongoing WiFi issues

Getting so frustrated with WiFi performance.  I’m currently sat on top of the Reuter and this is what I’m getting when I’m paying for 200mb. No other devices using WiFi!!  As a new customer I have to say that virgin customer service is pretty much non existent 

appreciate you won’t get the same as hard wired but come on virgin surely this is unacceptable 

download speed 6-11mb

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ongoing WiFi issues

If you are a new customer and still within your 14-day cooling off period, you can cancel the service with no charges.

That said, what speeds do you get when you do test on a computer/laptop plugged directly into the Hub on a Cat5e/6 ethernet cable? Need to test whether this is just a wifi issue or something else

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ascotquays
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Definitely WiFi issue - unfortunately I am outside of the 14 days otherwise would seriously look at moving back to sky. The performance of the Reuter has not been great since day 1 with a serious drop in WiFi performance in just the next room.  However surely the performance should drop from 200mb to around 8mb when you are sat right next to the Reuter?

trying to get customer service to contact on various plate forms but have never had a response!! 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

OK - VM (& all other BB providers) provide a service that is guaranteed TO the Hub and what comes out from it on an ethernet cabled device. They all expressly exclude guaranteeing wifi connections - as it is so influenced by the external environment. Even BT with its glossy ad's saying wifi is “guaranteed”, also charge £10/month for that and say that if it isn’t sorted they will just give you £100 back.

VM try and help with swapping the Hub (just in case!) and providing pods etc., but the reality is, that if the Hub wifi doesnt work well for you then you are far better sourcing your own wireless equipment. You could also try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands and switching off "channel optimisation" - that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance search the forum for instructions or just ask.

But even that is still no substitute for investing in your own better quality wireless equipment to solve all of your wifi issues forever

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos