Menu
sqWinter
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

One room has significantly slower speeds, seemingly unrelated to distance.

Hi all,

I've got an issue that's putting my mind in a spin. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 🙂

So - we recently purchased Virgin fibre after it was installed on our street. We had been using the supplied Hub 3.

All was well other than one room in the house being significantly slower than the rest. Next to the Hub, speeds are around 200-300mbs, upstairs this drops to around 200mbs which is to be expected. In this particular room, which is first at the top of the stairs, it drops to as low as 30-40mbs on the PC and approx. 70mbs on my laptop.
This seemed odd as speeds stay around 200mbs everywhere else upstairs, even rooms that are further from the Hub.

As we were having range issues in the garden, I thought I'd tackle 2 problems at once and buy a new router. I've purchased a TP LINK Archer 7 AC1750, put the Hub in modem mode and got it all running.
The garden problem was solved instantly but the lower speeds in this particular room continued.

While 30-70mbs certainly isn't unusable, this room happens to be the room which sees the most internet use and I would like to get it around the same speeds as the rest of the upstairs if possible. This is using the 5ghz band which I understand has worse range but again, it seems to be fine in rooms that are further away from the hub and router.

I was thinking maybe it's some kind of interference in the room. I switched everything off in the room, all devices other than the laptop to run the speed test. Same result.
The construction of the walls in this room are no different to any of the other rooms upstairs.

The only thing we've been able to think of that differentiates this room from any others is the Sky dish which is attached to the wall directly outside this room. The Sky dish is no longer used as we now have Virgin TV - but nothing was ever physically disconnected. When I look online to see if this could be the source of interference, there seems to be conflicting info whether it's even possible.

Could the Sky dish be the source of the problem? Does anyone have any suggestions? We're racking our brains to figure out what this possibly could be!

Again, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: One room has significantly slower speeds, seemingly unrelated to distance.

It could be any number of issues. But the fact that it happens with a third party router means it’s not a VM hub issue.

I have a room at the back of my house that has similar behaviour - speeds on Wifi in there can drop down to 100Mbps or so but the bedroom next door can hit 350Mps.

The only difference I can think in my situation is that the room is an extension (so possibly construction materials) and also the boiler cupboard is between the two rooms. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
sqWinter
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gary, cheers for the response.

It's odd isn't it? In my case, the room has the same construction materials as any other room in the property. The boiler is at the back of the property, between two rooms which are further from the router and enjoy higher speeds.

I'm determined to not accept defeat - which might mean going and taking down the Sky dish. As you can imagine, I'd like to explore all avenues before going ahead and doing that job!

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Satellite dishes can cause interference, particularly if the cable has deteriorated.  Interference can leak from the LNB and the down converted signal that goes to the receiver.

Where do the cables from the dish go?  Do they still go to an old Sky box?  Do you still use that?  If not turn it off. Try disconnecting them all at the receiver end so the dish is completely 'off'.

Is the room closer to other kit such as alarm systems or whatever?

Is it closer to a neighbour than other rooms?

Try using a free Wi-Fi analyzer app to see if there's interference from a neighbouring hub

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Further to my earlier reply - I'm trying to understand if your satellite dish is 'dead' - turned off - or is the receiver (Sky box) all turned off at the mains and so on?

If it's off, and therefore passive, it's unlikely to be causing a problem.  If still powered up it could be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
sqWinter
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it.

The Sky dish isn't connected to anything internally as far as I can tell. The cable from the dish goes into the attic and I believe runs down the wall to where the sky box used to be in the front room. Nothing is connected to where the cable enters the front room anymore, all sky boxes have been returned. I'm guessing that means it's 'dead'?

As for interference from other networks, I'm using a WiFi analyzer app on my phone - there is some overlapping between mine and neighbours wifi channels but no more than elsewhere in the property. Moving around the house, it looks like there's more channels overlapping elsewhere in the house where speeds are better. I'm assuming that means it's unlikely to be the problem?

I have noticed on there's a 'Hidden SSID' which must be in the property. I read elsewhere on this forum that it's likely to do with Virgin WiFi hotspots which I have now opted out of on my profile page. It states this can take up to 4 days. I thought this was worth a try, but again seems unlikely as it doesn't affect the speeds anywhere else in the property.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If the satellite receiver (Sky Box) has gone then the dish should be dead, unless there is some sort of splitter/power unit in the loft (distribution amplifier etc.) but that is unlikely in a domestic setting.  Therefore it's most unlikely that the dish is causing the issue.  To be sure check in the loft, remove the cables, dish or whatever.

Overlapping channels with the neighbour is never good.

Ideally stick to channels 1, 6, or 11 on 2.4 GHz (or some say the alternative plan using CH 13).  

It's generally better to be on the same channel as a neighbouring hub rather than an overlapping one - the radios can cope better like that.

See if changing channels and managing it manually helps.

sqWinter
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi g0akc,

I think I initially misunderstood what it means for channels to overlap. The router is on the same channels as my neighbours rather than overlapping. This goes for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Unfortunately changing the channels didn't make a difference either. A real head scratcher this.

With the Sky dish out of the question, I'm really struggling to think of other variables. I'll have a gander at the cables in the attic and see if there's anything there.

Thanks for your help again!

0 Kudos
ToffeeSurprise
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you get a WiFi scanner on your phone or something, does it give you any useful information?

For example let's say the signal upstairs in the rest of your house is -40dBm and the amount of noise is -80dBm (SNR 40dB).

If you go in the room and the signal strength drops to -50dBm you know the signal is being blocked/attenuated. If the noise level shoots up to -60dBm you know it's interference.

Once you know what the problem is you can then look for the source.

0 Kudos