Menu
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

One MAC ONE WAN IP

So I don't know if I make my problem worse by saying something or if I get support for this to who deals with the DHCP server that was changed on 06/10/20 that my setup worked fine on before.

I need my single MAC regardless of the DHCP discover/request made to give me the SAME WAN IP as the new DHCP server profiles different DHCP discover/request for a given limit starts giving out different WAN IP's on the same MAC.

Its a lot to ask its why I'm asking.

Old DHCP Server Identifier 62.253.131.201 and 62.254.35.201

New DHCP Server Identifier 80.1.23.25

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: One MAC ONE WAN IP

@legacy1 wrote:

I need my single MAC regardless of the DHCP discover/request made to give me the SAME WAN IP as the new DHCP server profiles different DHCP discover/request for a given limit starts giving out different WAN IP's on the same MAC.

eh what?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

eh what?

Your know when a DHCP discover/request sends out given options vs another DHCP discover/request with other options that is different but both by the SAME MAC gives out a new WAN IP's meaning you have two WAN IP's for ONE MAC which I don't want I want one WAN IP on one MAC regardless of the DHCP options.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

i think the addition of commas and full stops might help in both your posts. it's hard to follow when it's a long string of word salad.

i think it get the jist of what you're saying, but it's a hard read.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So yes didn't think I get help with this to solve the problem.
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

There isn’t any problem to solve. If the network has been logically reconfigured then you are now on a different subnet so your WAN IP will change to reflect this.

Your old address wouldn’t route out to the internet now anyway with the new configuration.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

You clearly don't get it here maybe this will help

One MAC two WAN IP's when I want ONE WAN IP for ONE MAC tested on one MAC

twoWANIP.PNG

As I said I don't know if I make my problem worse by saying something my network depends on VM DHCP giving me one WAN IP by one MAC regardless of the DHCP discover/request made and my setup worked for years only when VM changed the DHCP server on 06/10/20 did problems start happening.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

is this a single dhcp conversation? 

looks to me like you're client is rejecting the first offer and making a second request - virgin's dhcp servers are just responding accordingly... 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If it was rejecting it you would see a NAK

Its not a single dhcp conversation one DHCP with given options gets one WAN IP on one MAC then on the same MAC DHCP with other given options gets another WAN IP.

My guess is VM new DHCP setup does a snooping protection that allows 2 DHCP profiles with some options being different allowed but as soon as you send another DHCP profiles with options not the same as the first 2 the DHCP server gives another WAN IP's which I don't want to happen.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

i was talking about the client rejecting, not the server - didn't think clients could NAK, only servers.

anyways.. you're gonna have to help me out a bit here - what "given options" are you specifying with the DHCPDISCOVER to get the first IP address, and what "other given options" are you specifying that results in you getting a different IP address...? 

why are you sending requests with different options?

0 Kudos