Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

On M200 and getting 40Mbps

Hello,

Three months ago, I moved my wired desktop PC from downstairs to upstairs due to the son moving out and turning his bedroom into my mancave.

I was on the M100 package with usual speeds of around 112 Mbps and even though I was now wireless I still got speeds of around 105 Mbps which I was very happy with. However, the speed soon dropped to around 50Mbps and as I was working from home accessing my office using VPN, I thought I would contact Virgin and I ended up on the M200 package about six weeks ago. Except for one day the speed has not hit 100 Mbps, and I am paying £60 a month.

I have the Virgin Media hub 3 which is on a book shelve four feet from the ground and 8 inches from the back and side walls. We do not game. I would prefer not to use an ethernet cable as the partner would not be happy with a cable running upstairs.

Amazon were selling the wireless TL-WN823N USB adaptor at half price for £7.50 so thought I would give it a go, but the WPS searches for the router and then a message says it has failed. I have tried it many times over a few weeks without success.

My area reference is 14 in Sheffield.

Thank you,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: On M200 and getting 40Mbps

What are the upload speeds like? Can you take a look in the "config file" in the Hub settings at the "max data transfer" speeds to confirm they have actually applied the upgrade to 200?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Were you speedtesting whilst on the VPN?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Since my post I have accessed my router having read another post and the reason I was not able to connect the wireless TL-WN823N USB adaptor was because the WPS push button and PIN were disabled. I enabled them, pressed the WPS button and they connected. The speeds did not increase (I have been getting 5Mbps for most of the day with VPN and without). I then held the PIN in for 60 seconds with the same results.

"config file"

General Configuration

Network access

Allowed

Maximum Number of CPEs

Baseline Privacy

Enabled

DOCSIS Mode

Docsis30

Config file

Bsgvca69834ncxv9873254k;fg87ds

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID

Max Traffic Rate

Max Traffic Burst

Min Traffic Rate

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID

Max Traffic Rate

Max Traffic Burst

Min Traffic Rate

Max Concatenated Burst

Scheduling Type

BestEffort

I ran a diagnostic which said my home network had a few problems.

Checking Broadband Service
 Checking Telephone Service
 Checking Ethernet Connections
 Checking WiFi Connections

If you still think something is wrong, please check the following

Gateway IPv4 address is valid.

Your broadband connection is working.

The temperature of your Hub 3.0 is normal.

The status of telephone line 1 is not ready.

The status of telephone line 2 is not ready.

The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.

The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.

Please place your WiFi device near the Hub 3.0.

Thank you,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alessandro,

Apologies for the delay in replying.

I replied to John to say I was getting 5Mbps for most of the day connected to VPN and not connected.

Also since my post I have accessed my router having read another post and the reason I was not able to connect the wireless TL-WN823N USB adaptor was because the WPS push button and PIN were disabled. I enabled them, pressed the WPS button and they connected. The speeds did not increase though. I also held the PIN in for 60 seconds with the same results.

Cheers,

Kevin

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK you are configured for the 200 mbps service - so time to find out why you arent getting it. The first check is to see what speeds are actualy being delivered to your hub.

So forget wifi for now, to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, you need to test speeds directly.... that's on a NEW (or proven "good") ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a GB enabled computer/laptop (is your network card limited to 10/100?), with up to date drivers - and with the Hub put into modem mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers.
If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.
There are many posts on here where unknown software, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I will need to buy an ethernet cable (20 metres at least).

Not sure how to find out if my network card is limited to 10/100. The PC is 18 months old and is a HP 24-f0014na 23.8" Intel® Core™ i5+ All-in-One PC - 2 TB HDD. I keep the PC up to date.

When I logged on at 8am this morning (before accessing VPN) using Speedtest, my download speed was 44Mbps and upload was 20Mbps - I have never had a low upload speed though on M200 I do not not what upload speeds you should get as I ever upload.

Talking of Speedtest it defaults to Manchester (I am in Sheffield). When I click on change server it brings up three in Sheffield. Do you know how you find out which of the three I should use and then to save it as the default?

Many thanks,

Kevin 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK - long runs 20-50m of Cat5e/6 are usually ~£10 at the usual online places - always useful to have in your "tech drawer".

As its a new PC it ought to have a GB network card. I never use Windoze so not 100% where you should look - it will be somewhere in the "about this computer" "networking" or similar. Upload speed of ~20 Mbps is correct - I am on 200 and usually get ~21. Also look for your "connect speed" its in there somewhere too - it should show 1GB - however, if you have a bad cable, a Cat5 one, or a 10/100 card - it will show as 100Mbps.

Re. speedtest - Just select "change server" and select the one in your city that i.d.'s itself as a VM server - that's all I do in Manchester where there are lots of servers but only 1 VM one on my list.

Also, are you doing it on the speedtest website or using an App - there are reports that the App gives "slower results"

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Area-20-Slow-Speed/m-p/4317764#M234449

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Rather than purchase a 20 metre ethernet cable I took my all in one PC downstairs and contacted it to the router using the cat5 cable that came with the PC.

I used the Manchester server and three Sheffield ones (as well as USwitch and broadband.co.uk) and the download speeds ranged from 213-224Mbps. This was without taking the wireless TL-WN823N USB adaptor out. Once I took the PC back upstairs the speed was 30Mbps.

Thinking about it immediately to the left of the PC there is a wooden bookshelf that measures 40cm wide by 30cm deep. Do you think this could cause any problems and if so, I will empty the books and move the shelf to see if it makes any difference?

I am using a website to check the speeds. I cannot find if my network card is limited to 10/100?

Cheers,

Kevin  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok its just a wifi issue then. Moving things that might be "absorbing/blocking" signal will only help. If you want maximum speeds on the PC though, the only guaranteed option is to run some ethernet cable to it from the Hub 🙂 If you do that you can also add a GB ethernet switch and plugin a wireless access point as well.

There are a couple of tweaks you can try on the Hub3 that might improve the wifi signal. Disabling channel optimisation and renaming the SSID's of the 2.4/5GHz bands.

Or you could do as I many other have done which is to buy your own better quality wireless equipment Either...
1) Mesh System
2) Wireless router
3) Wireless access points
4) A combination of the above
Should improve it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos