cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Virgin box, will it still work ?

Lys26
Tuning in

Hello ,

My room has a virgin box with a Gun barrel cable but it’s been oxidised (bluish powder) and screws are all rusted. I am worried if I purchase a self install kit of virgin will it still work?? What should I do to confirm if the cable is still functional ??? 

image.jpg

please help.

thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lys26 wrote:

<snip> How do I let virgin media check the cable connectivity before proceeding ?

You don't.  Just order the Quickstart kit and if it works, great.  If not, call the pre-installs team on 0800 052 1734 8AM- 9PM Monday - Friday or 8AM-6PM Saturday and Sunday.  Tell them you need a manned install.  You also have a 14 day cool off period if you decide you no longer need the service.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You don't need to buy anything, in fact you can't.

If your equipment is no longer working properly, Virginmedia will check it out and if necessary replace it free of charge.  If it's still working OK there's no need to do anything. This assumes of course that you still have a Virginmedia contract. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lys26 wrote:

Hello ,

My room has a virgin box with a Gun barrel cable but it’s been oxidised (bluish powder) and screws are all rusted. I am worried if I purchase a self install kit of virgin will it still work?? What should I do to confirm if the cable is still functional ??? 

image.jpg

please help.

thank you 

Yes. That outlet should work with a self-install kit if everything is linked up in the cabinet. Try giving the screw thread a clean. VM will provide a push on (or should I say a push-over) connector, so as long as the surface of the thread is clean you should have no issues.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hello, thank you for helping .

How do I let virgin media check the cable connectivity before proceeding ?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lys26 wrote:

<snip> How do I let virgin media check the cable connectivity before proceeding ?

You don't.  Just order the Quickstart kit and if it works, great.  If not, call the pre-installs team on 0800 052 1734 8AM- 9PM Monday - Friday or 8AM-6PM Saturday and Sunday.  Tell them you need a manned install.  You also have a 14 day cool off period if you decide you no longer need the service.

spell
Knows their stuff

I think Lys26 just wants a quick and easy way to establish what he already has works properly probably before committing himself to being a VM customer and the subsequent possibility of the nightmare engineer visit nightmare for a manned installation.

Whether or not he/she can safely order a self install has got to be a factor in the decision making rather than just taking a chance that all will be ok. Seems to be a perfectly reasonable request.

Bravo 👍

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could plead ignorance & book a manned install anyway, but that would be difficult as you have already posted on here. That opens the door to them charging you for the installation.

Most of these self-installs do work first time. Even if the connection is OK, there is just as much likelihood of a failed activation which would still require a phone call to fix.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993