Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Odd WiFi problem, well i think so.

Hi All

After a number of years with zero WiFi issues I seem to have one that’s kind of odd.

So I have a hub 3 and as I’m in a Virgin Fibre area I have full fibre to house 100mbs and normally it works fine.

However over the last week or so the Wifi signal keep disappearing. Now its not one odd device that has problems it everything even a phone in the same room as the hub, my wifi just does not exist. It will stop mid-way through a YT video.

I do not loose BB connection as my main PC is on Ethernet and that’s fine. Turning the hub off and on has no effect but if it just wait it then reappears but it can be minutes or hours later.

But with kids at college doing online lectures it can be a big problem.

I’m not that techy but signing on to my hub 3 I can see a common CRITICAL error a No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out at approx. the times when it goes down.

Looked up similar issue and found one that had a low QAM of 16 when it should be 64QAM, but my QAM (whatever that is) is at 64 so it seems its not that problems

Any ideas what this might be and how to solve this?

Ta  KEith

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Odd WiFi problem, well i think so.

@keith0066 wrote:

Hi All

After a number of years with zero WiFi issues I seem to have one that’s kind of odd.

So I have a hub 3 and as I’m in a Virgin Fibre area I have full fibre to house 100mbs and normally it works fine.

However over the last week or so the Wifi signal keep disappearing. Now its not one odd device that has problems it everything even a phone in the same room as the hub, my wifi just does not exist. It will stop mid-way through a YT video.

I do not loose BB connection as my main PC is on Ethernet and that’s fine. Turning the hub off and on has no effect but if it just wait it then reappears but it can be minutes or hours later.

But with kids at college doing online lectures it can be a big problem.

I’m not that techy but signing on to my hub 3 I can see a common CRITICAL error a No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out at approx. the times when it goes down.

Looked up similar issue and found one that had a low QAM of 16 when it should be 64QAM, but my QAM (whatever that is) is at 64 so it seems its not that problems

Any ideas what this might be and how to solve this?

Ta  KEith

How odd!

The next time it happens can you log into the HUB and check this section to see if the wireless is enabled?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Post the full network, upstream and downstream logs from the hubs admin pages as text 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi All

After reading endlessly about the HUB3 it seems like it has issues.

So given it was well enough behaved for most of the time i've done yet another factory rest but decided this time to not rename any devices so i know what is on my wifi and not to setup any MAC filtering and it does seem to be working ok.

I can now find my wifi and connect without it all falling over every five mins, a slight exageration but you know what i mean.

But it begs the question why can't a big company like VM provide an adequate peice of kit to do the job advertised, ie connect the their network and provide wifi but with some settings that can be customised so my kids arn't on the wifi 24/7 without me physically having to turn the box off every night.

Seems if i want that functionality to actually work i have to pay £75 to £100 to get a new router and turn my HUB3 into a dumb modem.

Which given i pay alot for my VM package its not really acceptable that thier kit is so poor it won't do the advertised job properly.

I'm kind of a bit pi**ed off and thinking about SKY.

Yes i'm my area they are slower but if the kit works and as i'm not streaming NETFLIX 4k video i doubt the speed will even be noticeable.

Cheers   Keith

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The Hub3's issues are basically that it's wifi performance is not very good in some challenging locations - like yours.

You have four options.

1) Dont use wifi for any "important" connections - connect as many devices as you can to the Hub by Cat5e/6/7 ethernet cables

2) Tweak the Hub3's WiFi settings as per instructions on many posts on this forum - and perhaps try wifi boosters (if they are free from VM - dont bother if they aren't) and see if that helps.

3) Cancel VM when you are out of contract (expensive before then) and try another provider and see if their Hub can overcome the wifi issues in your location

4) Spend ~£100 and get better quality wireless equipment that will sort it once and for all and be yours to keep forever with any ISP you move to.

Your call.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos