Menu
BT28
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Occasional loss of internet service

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed the internet dropping out of my home. 

My wife and I are both secondary school teachers working from home 4 days per week each. On several occasions, the internet has dropped out suddenly causing us to lose connections from our live lessons. This generally happens during working hours (which we appreciate people are working from home etc...) and therefore prevents us from completing those live lessons. We have wired ethernet connections used from our hub when one of us teaches from the front room and that is dropping out too. It requires the router to be reset and then takes up to 20 minutes to give us connection again. My contract is up soon and therefore I am considering looking elsewhere as I have only just had a response via twitter. 

Not sure what to do next as require more consistent connection in the current circumstances. 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Occasional loss of internet service

well, you've already tested the first thing, which is trying it with a wired connection.. if that's still not working can you please;

set up a BQM - once set up, browse to the Live Graph and click the option to create a "sharing link" - paste the link back to this thread. 

Next, browse to your hub on http://192.168.0.1 - don't log in, click on Router Status and copy/paste the tables from the Upstream, Downstream and Network Log tabs back to this thread - you'll need to split it across multiple posts. 

theinternetguy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

As well as what @tehwolf said you could try and factory reset the router. Place something like a pin or pen tip into the reset hole in the back of the Hub for 10 seconds. The lights will start to flash and it may take up to 10mins to reboot. Once light is solid white (or purple modem mode) then it’s back online and ready to go. 
FOR FURTHER SUPPORT ON HOW TO DO THIS: click here.  

I am having similar problems where we are getting drops and get cut out of our internet multiple times a day. The above method is only a short fix and works for around a day and then goes back to the dropouts. I have tried to contact VM via phone about a similar issue and didn’t get far but you are more than welcome to try. 

Hope this helps 😀

0 Kudos
BT28
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. 

Ironically, I'm now encountering issues replying to these messages!

I have tried the factory reset and have had further issues since then. I would rather not sign up to the BQM thing mentioned previously and following the router hub link and had no joy there. 

0 Kudos
BT28
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. 

Does the BQM require signing up? I have checked speed on apps etc and that isn't an issue. Right now my speed is on par with what is expected. 

The router hub link does not allow me to check router status. I only see the option to sign up and login. 

The factory reset button has been used and the problem has occurred since. 

0 Kudos
theinternetguy
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yeah you sign up and set it up and leave it open and it will record when it drops out and latency. 

You have to sign into the hub through a settings password that’s printed on the bottom of your hub. You will then be prompted to change it. Then sign out and  router status should now show. 

Sorry that the factory reset didn’t work, it sort of worked for me. 

0 Kudos
BT28
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20210216-214658.png

0 Kudos
BT28
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator