I chatted with one of your colleagues online and did the reset, he also supposedly did something and after 30 mins I did another restart. The problem I have is that I still see one of the upstream channels (channel 2) set at QAM32 which I have read in these communities is not correct and the same was said in this thread
ChannelFrequency (Hz)Power (dBmV)Symbol Rate (ksps)ModulationChannel ID14960000041.85120 KSym/secQAM64122360000040.55120 KSym/secQAM32933010000040.85120 KSym/secQAM644436600000415120 KSym/secQAM643543100000415120 KSym/secQAM642
I also run a mesh network using BT discs and no matter what I do I cannot get this stable, it worked fine until you developed a fault in January that was not fixed until March, again reading in the community and this thread there should be no issue using the bt discs, but mine drop out almost every 10-15 mins and unless I restart take 5+ mi s to recover, I don't know what is causing this the hub or the discs.
What I do know this is taking up far to much of my time to try and resolve.