cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not reaching Gigabit speeds

AtterKing
Tuning in

I recently upgraded my package and subsequently upgraded from 600Mbps to 1Gbps broadband.

My setup consisted of a Hub3 in modem mode as I use a Netgear Orbi Mesh system (RBK853) for WiFi.  This gave me a constant and steady 640Mbps down and 41Mbps up when using Ookla Speed Test on all of my WiFi 6 capable devices.

The upgrade provided a Hub5 which I duly set to modem mode and made no other changes to my Orbi setup. Note: Using the 2.5G output.

Speed tests are now erratic with anything from 300-780Mbps down, but a fairly consistent 49-51Mbps up.  I was expecting a steady 950(ish)Mbps download speed.

The Orbi's inbuilt Speed test shows me 1148.48Mbps down and 51.87Mbs up. Orbi appears to use Ookla Speedtest and these are the numbers I'd expect to see via LAN connection.

Although I'm certain the Orbi system can handle Gigabit WiFi speeds, I decided to power it down and put the Hub5 into router/WiFi mode and test the Speeds.  The maximum I could achieve, using an iPhone 14 Pro Max and a Samsung S23 Ultra, was 750Mbps.  At a distance of around 6 feet away from the Hub5.

I'm an IT Engineer by trade and this has flummoxed me.  If anybody has any suggestion, I'd be grateful to hear them.

Configuration Status from Hub5 - Primary Downstream Service Flow

Max Traffic RateMax Traffic Burst

1230000450 bps
42600bytes

19 REPLIES 19

lotharmat
Community elder
What do you get via ethernet with the hub in router mode?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Sorry, I should have mentioned.  Still around 750Mbps max.

So, I did a full reset of Hub5 and remained in AP mode (removing Orbi Mesh).  Was able to achieve 920Mbps via LAN cable, but still only 700(ish) on WiFi.

Really bizarre to see the slow WiFi issue in both AP mode on Hub5 and Orbi when in Modem mode.

This suggests interference, maybe?  Although nothing else has changed in home setup.  I've changed WiFi channels and tried 5Ghz in 36, 40, 44 and 48.  With no positive effect.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @AtterKing,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your speeds at the moment!

I understand that you have your Hub 5 in Modem Mode as you're connected to a third party router. Unfortunately, we're unable to provide support for third party equipment to investigate this further.

However, if you switch your Hub back to Router Mode for at least 24 hours before we look into this issue further for you, we'd be able to run further checks and see if there are any issues with the connection that your Hub is receiving. 

Let us know if this is something you'd be interested in trying so we can see what is causing your issues.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Pauline,

Thanks for the response.

Just to be clear, I don't expect VM to support my third party equipment.  I can however, confirm that all is working fine with it.

The problem didn't exist prior to the upgrade, where I was on the 640Mbps, and consistently saw those speeds throughout the home. The upgrade to 1Gbps and introduction of the Hub5 has seen speeds of no more than 750Mbps.  This includes being Ethernet cabled directly to the Hub5 (in both AP and Modem mode).

So, can you perform a check on my cable connection, or double-check it and confirm all looks in order from the VM end?  Clearly the direct cable connection ro Hub5 showing just 750Mbps suggests issues outside of the Hub5 and as my Wifi wasn't in play, it rules that out too.

Thanks

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply AtterKing. 

Is the Hub currently in modem mode? 

On first glance the system is not detecting any issues but this can be wrong if the equipment is indeed in modem mode at the time of the testing.

Please do let us know and we will be happy to assist further. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Hi Nat

Yes, as explained in my original post.  In modem mode.

All was super fast whilst on 640Mbps (Speedtest constant with expected speeds), only change was the 1Gbps update and swap of Hub3 to Hub5 (both modem mode).  Currently seeing 500-750Mbps down but a constant 51Mbps up.

In order for us to check the Hub and run our checks @AtterKing we will need the Hub to be in router mode. 

Are you able to change this over so we can run some checks? 

Thank you

@AtterKing wrote:

So, I did a full reset of Hub5 and remained in AP mode (removing Orbi Mesh).  Was able to achieve 920Mbps via LAN cable, but still only 700(ish) on WiFi.

nope that fine for wifi do you get 900Mb+ by wire with Orbi to the hub in modem mode?

---------------------------------------------------------------