Menu
Tommy751
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Not getting anywhere near 1000mbps

Hi. I've been having real problems with my virgin broadband for some time. My package was for 100mbps originally. Because of home schooling ect I need better internet and was assured by virgin that upgrading my internet package would give much better WiFi. I know very little about this stuff so took their advice. I chose the highest they had 1000mbps and waited eagerly to sort it out. It didn't really. So maybe I have black spots around the house. But the the fire stick is right next to the hub and buffers like hell. So I looked into and bought a ugreen ethernet cable adapter and a ugreen cat7 flat ethernet cable, which promises to deliver up to 480mbps to the 2nd gen fire stick, which apparently is way more than needed. But it still buffers like hell, I can barely notice any difference at all. So I run quit a few speed tests and the results range from between 12mbps-30ish Mbps. Nowhere near the 480mbps that I should be getting. What am I doing wrong? It's all connected up fine. The fire stick settings confirm that it's all connected via ethernet cable. So why is it some much lower than it should be?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not getting anywhere near 1000mbps

It been said once and then a thousand times do not upgrade your speed before checking your speed first and would have been better to of posted here first. You likely don't need 1Gb anyway.

Post your hub stats for downstream and upstream

Setup a BQM
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Firesticks and such aren’t not proper ways to test speeds.

Use a laptop with a gigabit network card and a CAT5e or better cable. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tommy751, thanks for the message and sorry for the delayed reply, I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the speed. Can you do a broadband quality monitor and do what gary_dexter has suggested ^Chris

0 Kudos