cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting 1gb speeds on ethernet - Hub 5

Rarr5624
Tuning in

Hi there, so I recently had 1gb broadband installed and a free hub 5 at a good deal. In the first week of having the new gigabit broadband, I was getting the full download and upload speeds of 950mbps download and 100 upload. However, what I have noticed is that a few weeks on and the broadband has started to fluctuate again. Currently, I am getting only the following speeds. For ethernet, this is absolutely shocking. I am connected by ethernet directly to the Hub 5 so there should be absolutely no reason as to why I should not be getting the full speeds.

Rarr5624_0-1691156914839.png

Please don't respond to this thread telling me to pinhole reset or any other technical simplicity as I would have already done this. I have BQM running now to find out what the issue is. I would like to also point out that this is a recurring problem for me as I experienced the same problem just 2 years ago and made a thread about it, (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Not-getting-advertised-100mbps-speeds/td-p/479111...
(https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-very-intermittent-and-disconnects-...

I really need this pinpointed if it is a technical fault in my house somewhere, or something else. I have absolutely no idea why this is happening, and why it has been happening for the past few years. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Power levels look fine. Can you post the RS error levels Stats/table

Do you have a BQM going ?

Although you will have tested/done this... my first bet would be a bad/loose connection in the ethernet cable RJ45 connector... which usually drops everything down to <100.  May be intermittent too.  I have had a couple go like that in the last 2 years one of them was brand new - I suspect a shoddy manufacturer 😎

Do you also get those speeds when you boot into safe/networking mode with all other ethernet cables disconnected from the Hub and the wifi off?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

Check for a known service fault in your street via : 0800 561 0061 - it is an automated service.

Review the Hub's Upstream and Downstream stats, check for any issues with Power Levels, SNR,  Errors or Upstream modulation modes.

Hi there,

No known faults. I have posted the downstream and upstream, if anyone could have a look at it for me. 

Screenshot_20230804_150844_Chrome.png

Screenshot_20230804_150917_Chrome.png

Hi @Rarr5624, thank you for your posts.

We're sorry to hear about the problem you've been experiencing 😔

Advice on how to fix slow speeds can be found here. Are you having any problems with the connection itself?

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
Daniel

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Power levels look fine. Can you post the RS error levels Stats/table

Do you have a BQM going ?

Although you will have tested/done this... my first bet would be a bad/loose connection in the ethernet cable RJ45 connector... which usually drops everything down to <100.  May be intermittent too.  I have had a couple go like that in the last 2 years one of them was brand new - I suspect a shoddy manufacturer 😎

Do you also get those speeds when you boot into safe/networking mode with all other ethernet cables disconnected from the Hub and the wifi off?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Wow what a simple solution jbrennan. Just swapped out that ethernet I was using with a spare and voila, the 950mbps is finally coming now. So yeah it was a cheap cable that limited it to 100mbps. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yep, it always the first suspect, closely followed by a dodgy network switch 😎

Glad its sorted.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi @Rarr5624,

It's great to hear that this has now been resolved. Please do let us know if there's anything more that we can help you with.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!