Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Normally connect to router on 2.4 Gb band rather than 5.0 GB

Even when laptop is within 2 metres of router for 80% of time it connects via 2.4 GB band rather than 5.0GB. When it does connect via 5.0Gb I get 110Mbs but for most of time I get half that speed via 2.4 GB

What do I change to force the use of 5.0GB

When 2.4GB is being used WiFi scanner shows that 5.0 is present

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Normally connect to router on 2.4 Gb band rather than 5.0 GB

@cecil9 wrote:

Even when laptop is within 2 metres of router for 80% of time it connects via 2.4 GB band rather than 5.0GB. When it does connect via 5.0Gb I get 110Mbs but for most of time I get half that speed via 2.4 GB

What do I change to force the use of 5.0GB

When 2.4GB is being used WiFi scanner shows that 5.0 is present

Two options really.

1) Change the settings on the SH so that the two wireless bands have different names. Most often folks normally place a 2 or 5 suffix in the name. e.g. MySSID2 and MySSID5. You can then specifically connect to one or the other.

2) Some laptop WiFi drivers have an option to set a preferred band. I have a HP laptop that has this feature and with it set to 5GHz it does normally connect on that band when at work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi cecil9,

Have you tried splitting the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz signals? 

As you have seen 2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz.

Do the following so you can make sure your laptop connects to the 5 GHz signal.

Open a browser and log into your hub 192.168.0.1 - then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  (to differentiate it from the 2.4GHZ) and click onApply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

You could also do a search for an app such as wifi analyzer which tells you the strength of the channel you are connected on, and also shows other channels so you can decide if you want to change the channel number on your hub

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal >  beneath both the 5Ghz and  2.4GHz sections click on the manual button, and in the drop down box click on the channel number you want to change it to, then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Since virgin supply of this. a router that transmits at 5.0GB and 2. surely they should set up router to make maximum use and not require effort by unskilled users especially as every internet connected object in the house will require to be resigned in

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM have made it as simple as possible by building the 'Channel Optimisation' into the Hub operating system.

You have decided that you want something different therefore you should accept that you have to modify the Hub settings.

It isn't difficult and the instructions of how to do it have been written aimed at a Year 5 educational level.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos