Menu
Highlighted
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Non-usable Broadband Service - Requesting Compensation

We have basically had a useless broadband service for the past 2 months.

I am fed up with talking to the useless "tunnel-tutored" so-called Technical Support, keep telling me they are sending a file to the Hub3.0 to fix it, once I have left it for 10-20 minutes then reboot it.

I am not your average internet user and know that sending these small files via TFTP is not making any difference to the Hub3.0 whatsoever. 

If I start talking technical to them, then they put me "on hold" every time - it's like they do not know the answers to my questions.

Since Friday, they have sent via TFTP four files to the Hub3.0, none of which have fixed the issues, in fact, it has become worse, each time leaving the cable modem on for 10-20 minutes then a reboot.

Tried restarting back to Factory default settings, again the same problem. I am sick of being told to do the same things over and over again. It is just a pointless exercise and wearing very thin.

The times I have been told we will raise a ticket so a Technical Support Engineer will phone you is ridiculous, no one has ever phoned me on my landline which is also with Virginmedia.

Last Friday I was told to monitor my own Hub3.0 for 24 hours, and they would check it from their end. It was supposed to be followed up by a phone call. (No phone calls from Virginmedia!). Nothing new there!

This issue has been ongoing for far too long. I am supposed to be paying for the fastest broadband for gaming. That is a joke!

If you try a play a game like Call of Duty, you are continuously 'kicked' from games, because our internet connection is more like an AC mains current!
If you try and play Forza Horizon 4 - well, the connection is just too unstable to play multiplayer and #Forzathon Events you just lose points.
I do not class a download speed of 27Mbps fast, nor do I class 3Mbps upload fast, it is supposed to be 365Mb download and 35Mb upload.

Going by the packet loss, latency, upload and download, and not being able to receive TFTP files I would assume the Hub3.0 is not functioning properly. Hence, a new Hub3.0 is required, not more files!!!

The other issue is if it rains, our internet goes down. This should not be happening either, and sending files down the line will not fix a problem to do with the weather, do the Virginmedia Technicians really think like this??? 

I know the Technical Support doesn't like me, because they try and palm me off with all sorts of useless advice, they do not listen to me, they still send files when I have just told them they will not work.

Tomorrow morning (10/10/19) they are supposed to be phoning me - let's see if they do? Going by past experience of Virginmedia I very much doubt it.

I also want to know how I can claim compensation from Virginmedia for providing a service that is not fit for its purpose, I could get better speeds and a steady line on ADSL.

Regards,

One irate customer.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Non-usable Broadband Service - Requesting Compensation

I dont think you said.... are these issues evident just on wifi connections or are ethernet cable connected devices also affected?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

These issues affect ethernet and wifi.

Trying to get Technical Support to understand what a "mains spike" or a "mains surge" is impossible. They didn't even know what TFTP was? Seriously, technical support?

Is anyone actually qualified to work in their Technical Support department, which I was told they have no supervisors or management! I asked if they had all gone on holiday at the same time.

😞😲

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

first line support will not know what tftp is/

Second line may not even know.

Working in IT my first/second line techs do not understand protocols, configs or anything about how things work.

First line: Restart the system. Check you have everything connected. Log a ticket to second line.
Second Line: check user is provisioned and has account, check for account problems. Log ticket to 3rd line
Third line, Your network/ system admins that can access systems at a admin level and can understand how things work, Understand the network and system.

3rd line normally makes about 4-6 times more money then first.

for 10,000 users you might have 100 first line, 30 second line and 10 third line agents.

so you wouldn't want to train your first line and pay them 6 times more. if you did you wouldn't getting getting free tech support or cheap services

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Phenj
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I’m in the same boat as you with the customer service people.

I asked to speak to a manager and they just spew a load of rubbish at you.

The company is a complete joke and needs to invest some money into a proper customer service team. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Stick on here there are some (not me) very excellent technical people who will provide far superior technical advice and suggestions than that you get from a random VM CS rep on a call.
It may take a day or so to start getting illuminating responses. Many of these are VM engineers (offering personal opinions) or ex-VM employees with no axes to grind.

In the meantime it would be worth posting up the stats/numbers from the Hub settings. Post all the data from the "router status" pages for Downstream, Upstream & Network Logs (all are needed).
A BQM would be useful accompaniment too.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos