cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy rocking CATV Manhole cover

Lackadaisical
Tuning in

I am seeking help for a recurring CATV manhole issue, just outside our property.

First of all here is a 4 second video tells what is happening at the moment.

The manhole cover is generating a metal clank noise every time a vehicle is driven on it.

Unfortunately this is only a few meters away from residential houses, and if a truck or a bus drives on it, the manhole will rock and causing some vibration of the building together with the noise.

The issue has been reported multiple times in the past, with the recent repair just happened this month. However after it was tightened, after 2-3 weeks it becomes loosen again and start to clank. 

I don't understand:

- Why the manhole cover has to be a few inches below its surface? Why the lid/cover cannot be even on the road like most other manholes? (There are indeed quite a few down the same road but without the vertical gap.)

- Why this manhole has to be in the middle of the driveway, while the nearby pavement has enough space to hold it? 

- Why the lid cannot be tightened up in a permanent way? 

- Is there anyway to permanently fix the lid and stop it from clanking every 2 weeks?

The rocking manhole coverThe rocking manhole cover

Thank you!

29 REPLIES 29

Client62
Hero

Local authority might be interested in the loose plates making such an intrusive noise.

Welding the cover plates ( as is done in London ) might be the simple option prevent the movement.

The welds are just nipped off with an angle grinder when access is required.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Not sure what local council did to tight them, but they have come multiple times already and the issue persists. 

As this is part of VM equipment, will VM needs to look after it? 

I tried to submit a report on https://www.virginmedia.com/help/reportingdamage

But it brings me to the support page after click submit. No confirmation nor acknowledgement or whatsoever... Is that normal? 

The lid is getting worse and noiser (again) day by day...

The manhole has to be directly over the cable duct, which runs along under the road. 

You'll find it best to keep pressure on the Council, as Virgin are more likely to respond to them than to individuals. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Jen_Y

Thank you for posting @Lackadaisical 

Can you confirm the location of the manhole cover?

Community Mod

Jen_Y

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

It's on A322 Bagshot Road northbound (towards M3) near Chobham Road junction.

I can share you the precise location via PM as well. 

Appreciate this could be looked after quickly - it's causing harm both physically to the building (building vibrates when I truck drives pass the cover) and psychologically to the neighbourhood.

Hi any further updates? Thank you!

It's getting worse day by day. Hate to say this but Virgin Media should look after your equipment right?

Thank you for sending the details over.
We've checked the details and there is no chamber with a man hole belonging to Virgin media at this location. 

Community Mod 

Jen_Y

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules