cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi in some rooms and limited in others

Nicola666
Joining in

Hi

when I signed up over a Month ago I explained our useage and I was guaranteed Wi-Fi in every room with a particular package. To date we have no Wi-Fi in some rooms and limited in others. We can’t play the fire tv stick or browse uninterrupted on our phones. I work from home and cannot rely on the signal to do this without it dropping out when I am in meetings etc. We raised the issue and an engineer came out. Told us he doesn’t get involved in what the sales team say, reset the internet coming into the house and went away. We still have patchy internet! I have raised a complaint but 2 weeks later I am having to contact them again as I have heard nothing! Has anyone got any solutions? I have BT Wi-Fi discs but don’t think I can use them with Virgin (even though the engineer said we can)?? Any help gratefully received please 😟

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can use BT discs with VM, as other on here have them.  Just have a look at the instructions, I don't use them myself.  Best to factory reset the discs and go from there,

VM also supply Pods, but they are only free for the top tiers, otherwise it's £8 pm.  As you have the BT discs it would be a shame not to use them   🙂

If you get stuck, post up a new message with "BT DIscs Help" as the Subject and I'm sure you will get sorted.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can use BT discs with VM, as other on here have them.  Just have a look at the instructions, I don't use them myself.  Best to factory reset the discs and go from there,

VM also supply Pods, but they are only free for the top tiers, otherwise it's £8 pm.  As you have the BT discs it would be a shame not to use them   🙂

If you get stuck, post up a new message with "BT DIscs Help" as the Subject and I'm sure you will get sorted.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

g0akc
Problem sorter

The sales team were probably referring to Virgin’s WiFi Max.  See Here 

If you’re on a qualifying package you should use the Connect App to check the speed in each room.

If it’s below the target in some parts of your house the app should let you order pods.

I wouldn’t bother paying any extra for them to be honest (though one ‘trick’ is to have an O2 mobile SIM to qualify through the ‘Volt’ package).

Then site Pods carefully - between the hub and ‘problem’ areas/dead spots.

The BT discs should also work with the VM Hub.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

g0akc
Problem sorter

And it stands to reason that if you found it necessary to use the BT discs to get the required coverage you would need some sort or mesh/discs/pods/access points with the Virgin Hub.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Nicola666,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Many apologies for the issues faced, can I ask regarding this matter have you ran a blackspot test on the Connect App?

Also do you currently have any Pods?

Let us know,

Kain

Yes have run tests and am still waiting for a call back from VM complaints team! Not a great start and now the bill has been raised when we have had sun standard service 😒

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Nicola666 wrote:

<snip> am still waiting for a call back from VM complaints team <snip>

VM very rarely call anyone back IMHO.  You will need to call them.  Just search these Forums for similar "call back" tales ....   On a different note, did you ever get the BT DIscs working or did you post for help?

Hi @Nicola666 

Thanks for coming back to the thread. From a system check, I can see you've received a Pod since the last update.

There are a few requirements for the Pods to work with our Hubs:

•    The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'.
•    Channel Optimisation must be left on.
•    The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled.
•    The SSID must be password protected.
•    The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match.

As long as all of the above points are all met then the Pod should automatically connect to your Hub's Wi-Fi and begin broadcasting. The wireless details from the Pod will be the same as the Hub's details, so no additional steps are required to connect the devices in the home.

This link will help though if you do have any issues: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/setup/intelligentwifipod

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill