cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi from router new customer please help

SaraR88
Tuning in

I am a new customer for only 2 weeks and i get no signal from my router. I have done everything they ask. Nothing blocking signal, reset several times and they refuse to send a technician becuase on the system it shows i get 264mbs when i only get about 7mbs. I have taken screen shots of speed test across devices and thats when it only just gets 1 bar of signal. How do i get through to someone who can book me a technician. Ive rang through complaints and they keep telling the same thing everyday for 4 days straight which is reset the box and wait 24 hours. I have done this everyday for 2 week and they said they dont see a fault.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

They just told me to upgrade my package to 1gig with 02 volt sim to garantee wifi.  -

Don't upgrade it will not solve a Hub with broken Wi-Fi but it will tie you into a high bill for ever more.

This continual mis-selling by Virgin Media is what Trading Standards & OFCOM needs to address.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

First call 0800 561 0061 - use the automated service to see if there is a local service issue.

Use the test below to see if the issue is at the Hub or device.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.
The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

Client62
Legend

With a free Wi-Fi analyser app on your mobile or tablet, check if the Hub is transmitting on both the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz bands.  

Ignore what the Hub's menus say about the Wi-Fi config, it is important to find out what the Hub is actually doing and we should see a good signal for SSID VMxxxxxxx on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz.

Stobbsy74
Superfast

If you are getting 1 bar signal, then it sounds like a range/obstruction/wifi interference issue. How far away from the hub are you when you have 1 bar? 1 metre, 5, 10metre or more? 1 bar means that its at the end of its range, and the weaker the signal, the slower your speed will go.

If the hub is not obstructed, then the only thing I can think of is electronic interference from other devices or WiFi interference or channel overload from neighbours wifi. Basically wifi uses different channels or frequencies, if a neighbours wifi is using the same channel then it will interfere with your wifi signal. You could download a free wifi analyser for your phone like the previous poster suggested, it will tell you what channel your wifi is on as well as any neighbours. Or you can just try going into the router wifi settings and setting a different channel and see if it improves any.

Hi, i am less than 1 metre away ive been on the phone touching the hun to reset it and get 1 bar signal and 30mbs speed instead of 250+. Box is on a shelf in an open hallway no obstructions and all other providers ive been with router in same place and never had an issue. Ethernet works fine wifi just doesnt give signal. All tests have been done with channels and speed. Virgin media can see intermittent device issues but they wont replace the box or send a technician. They just told me to upgrade my package to 1gig with 02 volt sim to garantee wifi.

Client62
Legend

They just told me to upgrade my package to 1gig with 02 volt sim to garantee wifi.  -

Don't upgrade it will not solve a Hub with broken Wi-Fi but it will tie you into a high bill for ever more.

This continual mis-selling by Virgin Media is what Trading Standards & OFCOM needs to address.

SaraR88
Tuning in

Im not any better apart from continuous stress. I was told i could get the pods for free, then immediately charged £8 per month. I was directly lied to (pods didnt fix it). Raised a complaint with 4 different people non of them actually put the complaint in, spoken to 8 different people. Ive raised the issue with ofcom and im in a 30 day review (for them it shows device connection issue). Wifi still isnt better most of time it says connected with no internet or im getting about 3mbs of speed instead of 260. And weve tried everything changing channels moving hub everything...Thank you for your suggestions. I guess im just stuck paying this bill with no wifi either for the next 18 months. Everytime i complain they said on their system it shows im getting 264 so I cant terminate the contract either. Never had a router issue with any other company before. I only came to virgin for faster speed and now im getting nothing instead!

Hi there @SaraR88 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sosrry that you have faced this issues with your service and thank you so much to our community memebers for their help and advise.

I'm so sorry to hear you have also faced these issues regarding complaints you have raised. I'd be more than happy to look into this with you via a Private Message. I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.