Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No internet

Please see twitter conversation @LazyNemophilist

I have been directed here by twitter. I'm at my wits end. My Internet has been severely poor since September. The repair job has been cancelled by you 5 times in a row without any warning. I work from home and the service is just useless to the point I have to use a tethered connection on my 4g phone (Vodafone not virgin). 

I now have zero connection, although its not much different than the poor connection I had (apart from my smart devices now no longer work).

My question is will you fix this and can I expect to be compensated ? given I'm paying 55+ a month for essentially nothing. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: No internet

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting your district. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible internal and external co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Downstream  DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4 DS-5 DS-6 DS-7 DS-8

Frequency (Hz)N/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
Lock Status(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock)UnlockedUnlockedUnlockedUnlockedUnlockedUnlockedUnlockedUnlocked
Channel IDN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
ModulationUnknownUnknownUnknownUnknownUnknownUnknownUnknownUnknown
Symbol Rate (Msym/sec)N/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
Interleave DepthN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
Power Level (dBmV)N/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
RxMER (dB)N/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
Pre RS ErrorsN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
Post RS ErrorsN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/AN/A
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Upstream  US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4

Channel TypeN/AN/AN/AN/A
Channel IDN/AN/AN/AN/A
Frequency (Hz)N/AN/AN/AN/A
Ranging StatusOtherOtherOtherOther
ModulationN/AN/AN/AN/A
Symbol Rate (Sym/sec)N/AN/AN/AN/A
Mini-Slot SizeN/AN/AN/AN/A
Power Level (dBmV)N/AN/AN/AN/A
T1 Timeouts0000
T2 Timeouts0000
T3 Timeouts0000
T4 Timeouts0000
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

General Configuration

Network AccessDenied
Maximum Number of CPEs 
Baseline Privacy 
DOCSIS Mode 
Config File 

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID 
Max Traffic Rate0 bps
Max Traffic Burst0 bytes
Min Traffic Rate0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID 
Max Traffic Rate0 bps
Max Traffic Burst0 bytes
Min Traffic Rate0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst0 bytes
Scheduling Type
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK, so let me explain the whole situation again for the thousandth time. 

This is not an issue with a loose cable!

The double arrow "traffic" light (on my hub 2) is green instead of blue. I have no WiFi. I called about this in September. You sent an engineer out who said there was massive interference on the line and a new cable would be needed in the street so he managed to get this booked in for 3rd October. 

The engineer did not swap my hub out for a hub 3 as, in his own words, "they are super sensitive and less reliable than the hub 2 and if i swap it out you'll likely have zero Internet".

Since then my connection has been so unstable dropping out every five minutes making Skype calls and video conference meetings from home virtually impossible (I work from home). Additionally the speeds I was getting rarely go above 10-20mb (i pay for 200mb) and at certain points it was in the kbps (which is effectively dial up). 

As of yesterday I have absolutely zero Internet meaning my smart devices no longer work. Which was the only thing the connection was any use for.

So, to the repairs. The 3rd October appointment was cancelled without notice. I called up and was assured that the next appointment would be met. I was also given £25 credit on my account for the lack of notice of cancellation. The appointment has since been cancelled a further 4 times (5 in total) without any word at all, not even to tell me it had been rescheduled. Every time I called or used text chat I was given a guarantee that the next appointment would be met. 

At no point has anyone contacted me, I have had to contact you every time. 

This service is unacceptable. I want the repair doing right away and I would like a refund of my last bill as a minimum. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It may be a good idea to carry out a factory reset on the Hub …

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Check your system again.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This has been flagged for a forum rep to look at. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos