Highlighted
Apteryx
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No internet connection from access point

Can anyone help please?

My set-up
I have a VM Hub 3 running with an ethernet connection from LAN to LAN port on an Asus RT-AC3200 at the other end of the house which is set up in access point mode to improve wi-fi coverage.  We are running 3 or 4 wireless devices from the wi-fi.  I know enough to set this up - with lots of help from online folks like you Smiley Wink but not enough to fix it!   

My problem
This was all working fine for a few weeks and now is not working (I haven't changed anything).  When I try to join the wi-fi via the Asus access point (at that end of the house) I get a wi-fi signal but I cannot join.  Error = “Connected, no internet access”.

Settings on the Hub 3 router are:
IP address: 192.168.0.1
Wireless security: WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
Wireless MAC filtering disabled
DHCP enabled, starting address: 192.168.0.3
Number of CPEs 244

Settings on Asus RT-AC3200 are:
Set in Access Point mode (so DHCP and Firewalls both off)
IP address: 192.168.0.2
SSID and Password identical to Hub 3 router above
DNS server 1: 194.168.4.100
DNS server 2: 194.168.8.100

Things I have tried:

• Powering down both Hub 3 and Asus access point and starting up (tried different orders of starting up one and then the other first). 
    Didn’t work.
  • Factory reset to the Asus router and changing factory settings back to the above. Didn’t work.
  • Checking settings on both router and access point via GUIs - all look fine.
  • Changing ethernet cable between Asus access point and Hub 3.
    Didn’t work.
  • Calling VM helpline.  It did an automatic reset thing.
    Didn’t help.
  • I can ping the Asus access point on the above IP address and it shows up on Asus Device Discovery software.    

Anyone got any other suggestions for how to troubleshoot this please?
Happy to provide other info if helpful.
Thanks,
PC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Legend
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: No internet connection from access point

Make sure the channels are not set the same on both, try say channel 1 on the VM hub and channel 6 on your access point. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Apteryx
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply Tudor.  My VM hub 3 was set on channel optimisation but I've now changed it to manual.  The 2.5 GHz is now set to 11. On the Asus access point it is set to 6 (and has been all along).  No improvement on moving this to manual but thanks for the suggestion.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Usually, the Hub's default DHCP starting range starts at 192.168.0.10, have you change this.?

A bit of a long shot, but I would try giving the Asus a static IP of something like 192.168.0.240 which would take it out of the normal IP addresses issued  and any IP addresses have  reserved for future uses like telephony. This would rule out that VM have been doing any Ninja updates. It might be worth testing with the Asus set to obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically to rule out IP conflicts.

I take it you hav tested the internet connection with a wired device.

Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can you change the Asus's SSIDs, once you have them working you can reconsider making them iidentical to those of the hub.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Apteryx
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much Alessandro. 

Sorry I wasn't clear - original problem was internet working on wired ethernet connection and via wi-fi from Hub-3 - just no connection via access point.

I hadn't realised/noticed there was an option on the ASUS settings to "get LAN IP automatically" and "Connect to DNS server automatically".  I also hadn't noticed that the Hub 3 DHCP range was originally 192.168.0.10.  I'd been following other online suggestions of having the access point allocated to 192.168.0.2 and must have rushed in to mmaking changes.

Anyway - tried the automatic LAN IP and LAN DNS settings for the Asus AP together with fixing the DHCP range on the Hub 3 and this (together with the helpful suggestion below to try different SSIDs for each device when initially setting up) appears to have cracked it.

Thanks for the prompt responses.  Really helpful and really appreciated.

PC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Apteryx
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Great idea Roger. Thanks so much. This was really helpful for testing if I had a connection via the access point or not. Thanks so much!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
yashmin1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

f your ASUS router having problems like accessing internet, Setup,Configuration,Install,login then I think my research will guide you.
I am not going to waist your time for describing about router or why this occurs. Just Read for simple or perfect solution Asus Router login.

Wireless routers are terribly simple to line up...
Steps to setup wireless router are as follows :-

-> Connect your router with any PC/Laptop exploitation local area network cable.
-> Open browser and sort 192.168.1.1 within the address bar.
-> If it asks for username and secret enter as:-
Username - admin
secret - admin
-> The default setting page can open when pressing enter key.
-> set up your settings by following the directions provided.
-> Set a secret for security (WPA2) if you would like one.
-> Save your settings and exit the page.

By following the higher than mentioned steps you'll be able to set up any router no matter it's complete... Hope it helps... 🙂 🙂

0 Kudos