cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet - VM see no issue, account on 24 hour monitor after checks

time2innov8
Joining in

At around 4am this morning my home broadband failed. I followed the process on the help pages, and rebooted my Hub 3 and external router at 8am after realising it wasnt working. Prior to and after restarting the hardware my (VM router inbmodem mode) WiFi was working inside my house and I could access my NAS. I was unable to check further until nearer 11am when I called 150 to report the issue. I was on the phone to customer services for at least 90 minutes with the internet still not working afterwards. The last response I was given is my account is on 24 hour monitor which is allegedly to identify if it restores what caused it, they also mentioned its used for intermittent faults which is not what I'm experiencing.

During the conversation tests were carried out by CS and they didn't identify an issue. After multiple tests the full factory reset on the hub was carried out, which didn't fix the issue. At one point I disconnected the coaxial cable which the router did detect after a short delay so it is working at some level After the full reset I was able to connect to the Hub 3 WiFi and access the setup page but couldn't reach anywhere outside my network. Using the built-in diagnostics I get a message advising I have home network issues with an exclamation mark against broadband. I have also tried the diagnostic ping and traceroute functions built into the hub, with no response to 8.8.8.8 or the VM DNS address.  Before the full reset was carried out and my TP-Link router was connected it's status page did show I had received an IP address through DHCP from the broadband.

Despite the fact I have an active fault although VM are disputing that fact (I was offered the Gadget service where fees are payable to resolve) I cannot get any further support until the 24 hours have elapsed. I have now also tried connecting a laptop direct to the hub with the same issue, I get allocated an address but unable to open any websites.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, until this issue my VM service has been solid but it certainly makes me think about potential other providers.

Stuart

4 REPLIES 4

lotharmat
Community elder
What lights are showing on the Hub?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The best way to check your connect is to set upo a free BQM test, and post a Live Link to this thread.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I only have the yellow led at the bottom of the router on. I have however just carried out further checking running wireshark on a connected laptop and the issue is being caused by DNS. I am getting no responses to any messages sent to 194.168.4.100/194.168.8.100, there is no packets whatsoever from the DNS addresses. I tried changing DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 on the laptop but it's failing before it can get that far.

I have checked the broadband this morning and everything is back working ok, so whatever VM done to create the issue has been rectified. I will be none the wiser on what caused it though! 😀