cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband or landline in area

Rezwanak
Tuning in

I’m aware of the no broadband and landline in my area for nearly 2 days. We were notified that an engineer “is on site” and the problem should be fixed by 4pm however there has not been an engineer on site all day and it’s been over 2 hours since 4pm. The box to my area is outside my house and I haven’t seen a single person check it. I’m working from home and have now missed 2 working days due to this. I called them and they just had an automatic bot saying there’s an issue in the area and it didn’t give an option to speak to an agent? 
I’ve just seen they have posted that it should be fixed by 10:30am tomorrow. This is only my 2nd month with VM and it’s so rubbish, I never had this issue with my old broadband. How do you escalate these issues? Is this common? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Rezwanak wrote:

I’m aware of the no broadband and landline in my area for nearly 2 days. We were notified that an engineer “is on site” and the problem should be fixed by 4pm however there has not been an engineer on site all day and it’s been over 2 hours since 4pm. The box to my area is outside my house and I haven’t seen a single person check it. I’m working from home and have now missed 2 working days due to this. I called them and they just had an automatic bot saying there’s an issue in the area and it didn’t give an option to speak to an agent? 
I’ve just seen they have posted that it should be fixed by 10:30am tomorrow. This is only my 2nd month with VM and it’s so rubbish, I never had this issue with my old broadband. How do you escalate these issues? Is this common? 

"Engineer on site" is a generic term. It could be your box outside, or any of a number in a chain back to the street node, which may be up to 1km away. They may even be working at the local cable headend. If the area fault results in a continuous total loss of service for more than 48 hours you are entitled to automatic compensation at a rate of £9.33 a day until its fixed.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Rezwanak wrote:

"Engineer on site" is a generic term. It could be your box outside, or any of a number in a chain back to the street node, which may be up to 1km away. They may even be working at the local cable headend. If the area fault results in a continuous total loss of service for more than 48 hours you are entitled to automatic compensation at a rate of £9.33 a day until its fixed.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

AG24
Joining in

We are probably dealing with the same area outage, and these status updates / estimated repair times are a joke. It's been >48 hours since they first estimated it would be fixed and have had to change it 5 times so far which is a really bad experience for their customers. Very hard to have any confidence in VM based on our experience with them:

22/08 - total loss of service around 11am, estimated fix by 8:45pm
22/08 - @8pm changed the estimated fix time to 12:00 on the 23rd, 'engineer on site'.
23/08 - no notification provided by midday, but checking the status showed it was now expected to only be fixed by 4pm or 6pm on the 23rd, 'engineer on the way'.
23/08 - @4:30pm changed the estimated fix time to 10am on the 24th, 'engineer on the way'.
24/08 - @9:40am estimated fix pushed to 4pm, 'engineer on site'.
24/08 - 4pm passes with no update, around 7pm the status changed to 10:30am on the 25th.

Thanks, yes I’ve requested the compensation in case it goes over 48 hours. 

Yes I have the virgin box for my local area near my house! But Noted, for the generic use of engineer on site

Yes we just be from the same area as that’s what’s happened! It’s annoying that you can’t seem to get through to an agent at all to escalate. I’ve just reported it on the app once and that’s all. Really rubbish timing with bank holiday weekend and now I am forced to go on site to work tomorrow because I can’t afford to miss out on work. 

Such bad service, wishing that I didn’t switch over 

zar3p
Joining in

Not only are broadband and e-phone down for me, but TV too, for 3 days now. My entire house is built on automation (alarms, routines, doorbell, cameras, smart plugs, etc) and my family need broadband for work-from-home (this is causing problems with work) and TV for entertainment. TV time is family time for me (I don't care if it's not for you, we aren't you) so this is affecting our quality of life in many ways. I'm having to tether using mobile data but it's so slow and the connection isn't stable. I don't know why this isn't being fixed within a day, the updates they provide always says "our technician is in your area fixing things..." but that's a blatant lie, what is the technician doing, sitting on a deckchair having coffee?

This happened in April too, downtime of approximately 2 days (no credit/refund given btw). I've decided I'm going to leave Virgin when my contract is up, not that they care, but this near 4 day downtime has made me realise just how big a mistake it is to have both TV and broadband supplied via the same cable, when it goes down that's all major forms of entertainment gone. At least if I had Sky I could be watching TV whilst the internet is down, or vice versa. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@zar3p wrote: 
I've decided I'm going to leave Virgin when my contract is up, not that they care, but this near 4 day downtime has made me realise just how big a mistake it is to have both TV and broadband supplied via the same cable, when it goes down that's all major forms of entertainment gone. At least if I had Sky I could be watching TV whilst the internet is down, or vice versa. 

Make the most of it while you can. There has been a lot of interest in Sky’s internet driven Stream box, which now has both multi-room capabilities & cloud recording available. This is far cheaper to run than satellite services, & also involves less costs for the broadcasters. Some are already talking about satellite services ending in around 4 years time when the current satellites reach the end of their service life.

alekx27
Joining in

Same in my area. Such a shame.

AG24
Joining in

Now the 25/08 10:30am fix has been changed to 12:30 on the 26th. Who is estimating these repair times as they are clearly meaningless? Everyone who has lost access from this fault should now be entitled to the automatic compensation as it has now been more than 48 hours since the outage occured. I think its worth calling to make sure your loss of service has been registered from the right day as you probably can't trust that the online submission has worked - even their txt notifications of outage updates appears to only work 50% of the time.

We managed to get our broadband and line back today early morning, I realised at 8am. Is there still no luck for you? This is really annoying and it’s very stressful as they have no way to escalate it