Menu
KeithM73
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No audio in Video Conference - Wi-Fi or Network issue?

Recently joined a conference in “Google Meet” using I-Pad over Wi-Fi/ SuperHub2.

Picture fine but no audio output being received either end although the sound indicator bars, in the “App”, at each end, were working. All settings were fine. Eventually had to continue in video only plus a phone link via landline!

Following night, downloaded “Meet” onto my Android smartphone and set up a meeting. Same problem. So, not a device or O.S. issue, it seemed. Ended call and set up another. This time, the call dropped out after a couple of minutes!

Tried to set up another on I-pad and got a “No Internet Connection” alert! Coincidence?

Checked SuperHub and noted that the “tick” indicator was flashing. Two reboots left the indicator still flashing, so switched off and moved Ethernet cable to an adjacent port. BINGO! Connection restored. Again, a coincidence?

Set up another meeting and BINGO, all fine! Audio and video working.

I would point out that this my first time using “Meet” but the second time in the last two months that I have lost the internet connection, and the second time that two reboots, plus a third, after also changing the Ethernet port connection, eventually restored it. Coincidence?

What is really puzzling me is what was causing loss of sound but no loss of video or loss of any other “App” functions? Device and “App” settings were checked each time. Nothing wrong.

The issue, therefore, does not seem to be either device or “App” related.

Seems to me that a signal, bandwidth or processing issue should be more likely to affect video rather than audio. A tech savvy brother-in-law of mine, who took part in all of these calls, is equally puzzled! 

Oh, and at no time was I out of line of sight of the router nor more than twenty feet away from it and prior to each use of “Meet” the Wi-Fi signal on both I-Pad and phone were indicating maximum strength.

Ideas welcome, on both the “reboot/connection swap” and “video but no sound” issues!

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No audio in Video Conference - Wi-Fi or Network issue?

google meet uses separate streams for audio and video. 

sounds like your hub / connection was able to connect the video element of the call, but unable to connect the audio element. 

0 Kudos
KeithM73
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tehwolf, yep, separate streams sounds logical (no pun intended!) but does that apply to all online video?

I forgot to mention that just prior to the first conference call, using my I-Pad, I had been looking at (and listening to) a video on BBC News and another on YouTube and, similarly, on my smartphone, about fifteen minutes prior to the second call/experiment. No issues.

So, on each occasion, it was only after setting up the calls in “Meet” that I became aware of any sound loss. Indeed, after the original conference call, using the I-pad, I went back to YouTube and that was fine.

Didn’t think to do the same on the smartphone before the internet connection dropped out!

A possible router/network issue isn’t helping matters!

Thanks for the input!

tehwolf
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

it's more complicated than that.

meet uses web-rtc, so you're actually initiating peer-to-peer connections with the other users of the meeting, rather than all connecting into a central server..

there's a server in the middle of it all, ofcourse, but that's mostly used for signalling traffic - a broker if you like, that tells participants of the call how to connect to the other user(s). the actual video/audio streams are peer-to-peer 

it wasn't a fundamental issue with the processing of audio - your iPad / computer / phone it was an issue connecting the audio stream with the other participant's web-rtc client. 

as for the router issues (which do sound both strange and coincidental) i'm afraid that i can add no value 🙂

0 Kudos
TrueVerdict
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2 - not a great wifi connection 

google meets over wifi - not a great experience

when was the last time you did a factory reset or even powered down? - if youve never done this use a paperclip in the back of the hole on the back of the router holding it for 20-30 seconds this will delete all settings on the router - give it 10 mins or so to come back on line.

This gives your router the best chance of starting afresh.

Has this improved your connections?

I daresay not - I read a lot on the forums about people doing web conferences meets and zooms and running into wifi problems and dropped calls.

You will always get a better experience using a computer/laptop plugged directly into the router with an ethernet cable - this removes any possibility of atmospheric interference which blights most households

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you find my responses help or amuse you in any way, please cheer me up and give me some Kudos - - - - Services: Hub3 500mb speedtest.net result 22 Jan 2021 = 550mb down / 36mb up Ping 12
0 Kudos
KeithM73
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TrueVerdict, I use I-Pad all around the house and never noticed any Wi-Fi issues in the six years I’ve had it. Have used Face Time and Skype occasionally with no issues. Speed Test on Wi-Fi has pretty consistently given me in excess of 100/12 or so and rarely less. In about 10 years with Virgin, I’ve only temporarily lost an internet connection, due to a network issue, a couple of times and only two or three times has the router been the issue, requiring a reboot. Why on the last two occasions, it took three attempts plus a change of port is, currently, a mystery. Nothing has been moved or subjected to possible damage.

My aforementioned brother-in-law was in the first meeting with myself and a dozen others. He was on Virgin at the time, laptop and Wi-Fi. The host (someone with considerable IT/electronics knowledge) was on a laptop and Wi-Fi. A number of others were on phones. Nobody else had any issues, except me! The aforementioned host is also puzzled and was keen to receive my feedback, which is currently pending.

Oh, and I don’t own a laptop but I do have a pretty high spec PC (on Ethernet) but no webcam! Tried to get one a few months back but all the decent ones seemed to be totally sold out. After the issues the other evening, I had another look. It’s due to arrive this Sunday! 🙂

0 Kudos