Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No Wifi

Can't connect to wifi, stable green wifi symbol with flashing green bar. Have run tests and checked all cables and sockets (working fine) and still nothing. Says internet access has been denied. 

Had to purchase BT WiFi Fon, which I would like to be refunded for to cover the wifi and the fact no customer contact is working, tried the text service, all call centres closed, no working chat bot in app, had to contact Virgin through twitter to get here. PLEASE HELP! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Wifi

Is a wired connection working?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

a Re: No Wifi

Hi thanks for messaging.
No nothing is working, also tried multiple different wires as we had a spare and still nothing. 
It just keeps flashing green with steady green wifi light (hub 3). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I was told by Virgin on twitter that "If our members aren't able to give you the help and support you need then one of our forum team will jump in to help resolve."
I've been waiting ages, I'm having to pay for BT Fon so I can be here and Virgin won't refund me even though I have no wifi and none of their customer contacts are working,  because "it's not what they advised." Don't know how else to contact anyone so pleeeease is there a way I can be passed through to a forum team leader ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The sequence of green lights are an indication of 'no connection' to Virgins network.
So basically there could be an outage caused by work on the network/fault.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Despite what the twitteratti say this isn't a Hotline into VM team leaders. Its a community help forum where the community (mostly non VM employees) will try to help.

First Q is always...

Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Area Status web page which usually covers >1000’s of customers) - that may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

If nothing shows on there, try calling it in as a fault (on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others) and see what they say when they test your connection. If they say it’s a known fault, get a fault reference number – n.b.- the UK call centre is still picking up and calling at 08.00 gives the best chance of getting through quickly, although I got through recently in 20' at ~1pm midweek.

Or, a VM person should pick this thread up as soon as they see it and be able to help but it will take several days up to a week

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I understand and grateful for peoples help on here, just getting fed up of going in circles. As I mentioned before, the reason why I'm paying for BT is because the wifi isn't working and all their call centres are all closed due to covid, the app chat bot doesn't work and the text number for isn't working either, so I've now ended up here. And I'm going over things Ive already answered. But appreciate your message.

Checked for area faults multiple times, all ok. No known network faults. 
Did the test when the wifi tries to connect, comes up with internet access denied, but doesn't give any options of what to do with that or what it means.
Tried calling the fault number multiple times, either rings out but then just ends the call or you get through and follow the instructions but then the voicemail says 'sorry, due to covid our call centres are currently closed'. 

Hopefully a a VM person will pick this thread up as soon. But if it's up to 7 days, as I've said previously, I've already had to pay for BT Fon to get this far and Virgin aren't offering to cover costs.... I've only been with them for two weeks too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

For my info - what is BT fon and what do you pay them for?

Second questions... if the 0800 number says there are no problems - then is always,  what is the connection like on a computer/laptop when its connected directly to the Hub by Cat5e (or better) ethernet cables?

That is.. are your issues restricted to wifi devices or are they evident on cabled devices too?  Its important to know as if wired connections are dropping then the issue is likely to be equipment/connection related and not just wifi interference.

If you dont know - then follow this procedure so we can look at the connection details.
--------------------------------------
First switch the Hub off for 5 minutes AND unplug it from the mains Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. Then switch it on again and leave 5 minutes

Then do a Hub “pinhole reset” - but, make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub, and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it there firmly for 60 seconds – release the pin then leave the Hub 10’ to stabilise.

Also, post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right (SH2’s) or the text at bottom-middle of first page up (Hub3) and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button a second time).

Also, in the meantime, if you haven’t already, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” (as per instructions on the TB website) when you have the first 24h period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

You pay BT to use their Wifi Fon which basically allows you to use their global hotspots and access the internet. There are different amounts that you pay depending on how many days you want to use it for, it's handy for these type of no wifi situations.

There's no connection when the computer and laptop / cable devices are plugged directly into the hub, we used multiple Ethernet cables just to check it wasn't the cable itself. So sounds like you said about the issue being likely to be equipment/connection related. 
We have checked all cables, connections and sockets and no problems there. We've waited a good while before turning it back on again  but it just keeps doing the same thing with lights.

Tried a pinhole reset, but no success. 

Hub/network connection details can't be displayed as the page won't load, says connection interrupted then site can't be reached, took too long to respond.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The Hub data does not need internet access so it should be accessible with an ethernet cable connected device.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos