Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No Wifi outside of room the box is in.

Hi,

I have been having this problem for years and i keep phoning up and complaining then Virgin pump a boost through the line and im able to get wifi upstairs for maybe a DAY then its all gone again. I have the Wifi box in my living room and it doesn't even work well in the room next to it. the last person i spoke to on the phone said i need to pay for my own wifi extenders if i expect it to leave my living room, I dont find this acceptable seen as competitors such as BT Promise Wifi in EVERY room. I am close to leaving Virgin as its one of the most expensive considering i have to be within a few metres to get any Wifi. Can anyone actually help with this? or would another provider be a better option? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Wifi outside of room the box is in.

Hi.
Send me a pm with postcode, account number and area code if you know this and I will look into it for you.
To PM me, just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any of the info I've asked for in this thread as it's public

If my answer was helpful to you please mark you post as helpful answer and consider leaving kudos.
Thanks Scott

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Pump a boost through the line - that’s the best I’ve heard yet!!!!!

Wifi isn’t a promised or guaranteed form of connectivity so if you need to expand with your own boosters/mesh/router then that’s what you need to do. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Motoko920 BT only promise that if you pay an extra £5 or £10 a month for wireless boosters, they don't promise it with a single router no ISP does.  VM also offer boosters.  Not sure of the pricing of VM boosters I think that people with some higher end packages can get them for free via the VM Connect app:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Helping-Hands/How-to-Improve-your-WiFi-Signal-and-order-booster...

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls and building materials used within them, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) so it is not something VM can control or guarantee.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.

There is also a sticky post at the top of this board with good advice to improve your signal for free:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos