Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

No WiFi downstairs in spite of Home Plug

I have been 1hr and 3 minutes on the phone being connected to VM......I was cut-off!!!!

I ordered  a new hub which appeared today and simultaneously the wifi started dropping out and I hadn't even opened the box...strange?

For 4-5 weeks at the beginning of this pandemic we had wifi problems as well as internet difficulties which, although resolved have left me in a state of anxiety as I am 77 years old and my wife 70. Candidly, we clearly were panic stricken when the virus started as our phones, TV and internet were affected.

We have a PowerLine to carry signal upstairs as there are 2 Tivo boxes with separate feeds and the router is downstairs.

This morning, at the same time as the new hub arrived, the downstairs WiFi started misbehaving but the upstairs one was working albeit intermittently.

Frankly, I am frightened to try installing the new Hub as I have no idea what to do about the PowerLine and I am dreading the thought of being without communications.

This is altogether horrendous for us and having hung on to a phone line to Virgin only to be cut off after 63 minutes is ridiculous.

Any possibility of assistance please?

Thanks,

auldyin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: No WiFi downstairs in spite of Home Plug

Why were you sent a new hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks.

Its the new Hub 4 they are rolling out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I will flag for a VM person to contact you here. Keep checking back they usually get back well within 24 hours

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi auldyin,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've been having some issues with your connection.

I've been able to locate your account using your forum details and can see you've been able to speak with someone today. There is an SNR area issue that you're currently affecting by, the estimated fix date for this is tomorrow, this will be what is causing your slow/ intermittent connection.

The hub however should still be fine to install. If you're not comfortable in setting this up yourself please let me know and I can arrange for an engineer to help.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your help Alex!

I really appreciate your most kind offer of Engineer assistance and, on balance, think that would be a good idea as I was out of my depth with an ongoing issue early on in the pandemic. Had it not been for one of your colleagues, Hetty, we would have really struggled coping with many aspects of the unfamiliar life we were (all) forced to live.

So, if possible, extra help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin (auldyin)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

No worries at all Colin 🙂

I've arrange for an engineer to pop round, I've sent you a private message to confirm the date/ time.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alex!!

Engineer came today, installed new Hub 4 and spent some time at street box. He also removed some redundant cabling which was good news as it made things look better at TV etc. There have been some difficulties outside and VM Engineers reported that there are issues with Broadband which are being sorted out just now.

However, I was on my own little network at home, which has now effectively been replaced by the Hub 4 and I'm a bit confused because my own little nework is still visible on iPhone, iPad and Desktop

eg OLD NETWORK: Called "Home" with Password Pwd feeding HomePlug WiFi Boosters etc

NEW NETWORK: Called VMxxxxxxx-2G and VMxxxxxxx-5G with Password abcdefghijkl feeding HomePlug WiFi Boosters etc

The OLD NETWORK has a simple name and the password secure but easily remembered, unlike the NEW NETWORK which is a bit of a problem and the Password impossible. Also attached to the Boosters etc

I think, in this instant, that I misunderstood what the attending engineer explained and attach no blame to him whatsoever as he was excellent

As there are engineers in the district doing what engineers do(?), I am taking the opportunity to ask what I do next as I dont intend doing anything without absolute knowledge, a lesson learned from the nightmare we had at the beginning of the pandemic.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Login to the hub and change the network name and password.

The engineers job is to install the cable and hardware

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos