Menu
Mygod1971
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No WiFi at all

Can anyone help?

I have had no WiFi for the last couple of hours. I’ve checked online and there is reports of an outage in london.

when will this be resolved ?

in case anyone will ask I’ve done a reset etc on my hub and checked all cables.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: No WiFi at all

Have you tried a wired connection?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
Mygod1971
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hiya

yes.

tv is wired

laptop is wired.

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Mygod1971 wrote:

Hiya

yes.

tv is wired

laptop is wired.

OK - well if wired connections are OK an 'outage in London' is unlikely to be affecting the Wi-Fi in your home....

Go though various checks on the Wi-Fi

• Reboot hub
  • factory reset hub
  • Any Wi-Fi networks shown at all on the device (e.g. neighbours)
  • Log into hub and check networks enabled and SSID (network name) on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz
  • Try changing channel and so on...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Mygod1971
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I’ve tried all of the below.

I need help right now.

ive had nothing but problems with Virgin. None with my previous service provider.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What did the 0800 number report then?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Mygod1971
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

it’s saying nothing.

I had just ten mins in on WiFi then it’s has been jumping in and out. This also applies to wired connection.

I’m having to use my mobile data 

I’m starting to give up and just cancel the service.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your wired connections are fine and the 0800 number reports no faults so its looking like a wifi only issue. What are the Hub lights showing doing?

Try a pinhole reset (below) and see if that sorts it. There are also reports where a recent firmware update has changed the name of your SSID to "1" and so may have connection issues. A reset should put it back - have a look in the Hub settings and see what the SSID is named - is it the one your devices usually connect to - if not just rename it to what it was. Also just check that the disable wifi boxes have not been ticked.

First do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then Do a Hub “pinhole reset” - make sure the 2 passwords on the Hub sticker are still there and legible first ! Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub, and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 10’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time.

See if that brings the wifi back

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
g0akc
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Mygod1971 wrote:

Hi 

it’s saying nothing.

I had just ten mins in on WiFi then it’s has been jumping in and out. This also applies to wired connection.

I’m having to use my mobile data 

I’m starting to give up and just cancel the service.

So, just to clarify, you’re now saying wired connections are bad....?   As well as WiFi....

0 Kudos