Menu
cmartin_ok
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No Virgin services at all Camberley 18 Jan 2021

On Monday morning 18 Jan, around 11am suddenly the broadband went dead cutting me off from work, the phone line was also dead and my virgin mobile phone would not make or receive calls although there was some signal strength.  A couple of hours later the broadband "re-appeared", a while later the land line and mobile phone also started working again.

Trying to get through using a mobile phone on another network initially gave a pre-recorded message saying no faults known, equipment test took for ever than landed me in a menu saying its taking longer than expected, please call back.  A second call placed me on hold and I gave up after about 15 minutes, then a further call to find out what was going on gave ab updated pre-recorded message saying that there was a fault and it should be fixed by 16:25 same day.  A phone call to a near-neighbour discovered that he had had the same problem with no service at all, but from an earlier time that morning.

1) Can anyone at VM explain what happened please, to kill off all services, internet, phone and mobile phone? Is there no contingency?

2) How are you supposed to contact VM when all services go down? Is there a number to call to get straight through to a real person, not an endless succession of pre-recorded messages and "press to do this" options?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: No Virgin services at all Camberley 18 Jan 2021

1. You need to provide your own contingency/backup plan - either a backup DSL line and/or a 4g/5g router

2. Phone the support number

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
cmartin_ok
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How can I phone the support number when both the Virgin home phone line and mobile services go down?  If I use a phone from another provider, I still cannot get through to a real person at Virgin Media.

Contingency - I meant what contingency plans do VM have in place for when there is a total outage of all services?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@cmartin_ok wrote:

How can I phone the support number when both the Virgin home phone line and mobile services go down?  If I use a phone from another provider, I still cannot get through to a real person at Virgin Media.

Contingency - I meant what contingency plans do VM have in place for when there is a total outage of all services?

Again they don’t. You have to provide a contingency if you’re dependent on those services. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

no Contingency. Its a residental service with no SLA.
The cost of redundancy is not cheap. there is a reason companies pay millions to have a redundant network. Its simply not work it or cost effective to do it for a residential service
0 Kudos
cmartin_ok
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So clearly I have an answer for one question - VM have no ability to quickly provide some sort of service when there is a failure.  No SLA: customer has to suffer for however long it takes.

What about the reason for the total failure of all services on Monday for a period of several hours?  What happened?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

as a customer, i have no idea. thats a question for VM. but they may not tell you details
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@cmartin_ok wrote:

So clearly I have an answer for one question - VM have no ability to quickly provide some sort of service when there is a failure.  No SLA: customer has to suffer for however long it takes.

What about the reason for the total failure of all services on Monday for a period of several hours?  What happened?

Correct. That’s why you have to have a backup line yourself or a business line with SLA’s where you can be provided with RFO’s and so on.

You won’t get any of that on a residential service. 

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@cmartin_ok wrote:

I don't believe VM give the technical reasons for an outage.

• A line could have been cut.
  • Power outage.
  • Upgrades causing an unforeseen outage.

Several reasons.

Since working from home I've ensured I have a backup connection in these rare circumstances.

0 Kudos